Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went back to Pueblo after the Tuesday snow. Post-frontal conditions and it was a bit tougher. Managed 23 wallies with my other buddy (I only have two) and a nice 20" wiper. Surprisingly, the water temp went up 2 degrees everywhere I went.

Going back Friday for Round III.

TOD II for the week:

[URL="
[/URL]

Nice wiper:

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I hit it today and caught the same 17" fish I caught the last two years. They seem to know not to grow beyond 18".
You have to cull through a lot to get keepers. Yesterday I got 15 with one keeper that was 18 1/4".

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have to cull through a lot to get keepers. Yesterday I got 15 with one keeper that was 18 1/4".
I have been told that the larger fish will school together and to move to a new area when I catch many shorts. I have tried that and they are still short at other locations. I had two other men fishing with me, they also caught nothing but 16-17's. They are fat and healthy. Seems like they are the same size year after year. Small wipers were biting well last night too. Fun fishing but nothing for the dinner plate.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Last night (Friday) was 57 walleye, 3 keepers between three of us. We did get into the wiper and got eight between us with four being over 20" and the big two going 24" and 26" (6.5 and 8.4 pounds). They are still swimming. I'll post a photo of the big one but there is so much light reflection off the wiper you can't tell how big it is.

I don't know if walleye are like lakers are and school according to size but it sure seems some of that happens. I agree with Ninja, you have to go through a lot to get a few keepers but the good news is you are catching fish!

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a nice Wiper!

I hit it today and caught the same 17" fish I
caught the last two years. They seem to know not to grow beyond 18".
^ Yup, it would seem. On Weds the 25th I caught 13 w just 1 at exactly 18". The 17" to 17 3/4" population seems to be prolific and very taunting.

I was on the rip rap at the dam on Sat the 21st. They were hitting the jerk in #s but were markedly smaller in avg length and heft (in aggregate) vs the ones I sometimes get into further west. Nothing even close to a keeper, like 14.5s - 17s.

But yea, this is consistent with the information in the Survey Summary. "Average catches of walleye in Pueblo Reservoir yields around 3 to 7 legal fish per 100 fish caught."

What I find interesting though is, per their own data (the chart makes it clear) the >18" population is smaller than it's been in recent years, proportionally by what looks to be a pretty good margin than even last year.

In their own wording they do mention that "The 18” and over size group was smaller than recent years" but per the gillnet sampling data on the chart it seems like this might be an understatement.

"The total number of walleyes caught in gillnets in 2017 was
again consistent with recent years, particularly the 11-17”
length group (see figure below). Yet another large cohort of
mid-range fish should lead to a better than average group of
legal-sized fish in the near future. The 18” and over size
group was smaller than recent years. Gillnet samples do not
do a good job of assessing the status of larger walleye in the
reservoir. These larger fish are present in the reservoir in
good numbers, but are difficult to catch, especially when
gizzard shad are numerous. Average catches of walleye in
Pueblo Reservoir yields around 3 to 7 legal
fish per 100 fish caught. 2017 was an even