Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check out another spot today, and it sorta paid off.

I lost a really big eye, over ten easy. Could not believe how hard it was pulling, decided I might have to get wet to land it. I got it up to the bank, and was pretty much shitting brix because I have not caught one this size in quite a while. Absolute giant. It had the bait wedged sideways in its mouth, gave a good head shake and spit my bait back at me. I jumped in (the water was not that cold, surprisingly) to grab it and my fingers just brushed its tail as it powered back into deep water. flytalk1

Anywho, got this. Jerkbaits, duh.

Eight pounds, could have been ten plus if she was not spawned out.

The one I lost was sooooooo much bigger. I has a sad.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Bummer man, getting skunked hurts less than losing a huge one at the bank. Hopefully the 8 lber atleast helped ease the pain.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Atleast you were able to land 1 nice Eye!! Def sux about "the one that got away" ...

Looks like your fishing early evening before dark??

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Nice story! Nice feesh too... perhaps a bit shy of 8, but sweet none the less. Sucks about the beast that got away...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
She spit it back at you? Guess that was a critique of your work! :biggrin1: Nice fish, congrats!

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I haven't caught an 'eye in 2 months and you're whining about the one that got away. My sympathies-

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Meh, thought this had something to do with shrooms........ looks like a good trip to me, maaaaaan.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Very nice,sounds like a great trip, don't let the one that got away bother you, those are the ones you'll remember forever.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I jumped in (the water was not that cold, surprisingly) to grab it and my fingers just brushed its tail as it powered back into deep water. flytalk1
The water is never cold under those circumstances :biggrin1: Nice work! I lost a big one two and a half weeks ago. It fought more than the two 10 lb class fish I caught this year. Those big, fat ones never seem to fight much. It's the stocky, short ones that do. I think my hardest fighting walleye was only 26.5". The one I lost fought about the same as the 9 pounder I caught (which fought more than the 10-pound class fish), but I would like to think that it was bigger. ;)

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Great 'eye anyways......the "what could have been" fish are impossible to forget. What was the length on that jerkbait the big one spit?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your frickin killin it this spring SB. Some day I'll have time and money to dedicate to learning the eye's

·
Registered
385 Posts
The water is never cold under those circumstances :biggrin1: Nice work! I lost a big one two and a half weeks ago. It fought more than the two 10 lb class fish I caught this year. Those big, fat ones never seem to fight much. It's the stocky, short ones that do. I think my hardest fighting walleye was only 26.5". The one I lost fought about the same as the 9 pounder I caught (which fought more than the 10-pound class fish), but I would like to think that it was bigger. ;)
Can't speak to eye's cuz I've really only caught a few that size and it was 15 years ago and since only 1-2lbers... but LM certainly are that way. Any close to or at the double digits give a couple of blistering runs for a bout 30 seconds or less and roll over exhausted. 4-6lb LM fight like a raped ape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts