Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I go to Walmart and get a new deep cycle battery for my trolling motor-a 29 series. Been buying batterys from Walmartfor years and never had a problem.

When I get home I put it on the charger and it is 70% of a full charge so I charge it up to 100%. Thing is, if I go back a few hours later and put the charger on it again it reads 90%. But after a minute or so, the battery reads 100%.

Am I just getting a false reading from my charger? I've checked all the connection etc and everything seems OK.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I had the same thing with my battery tender when I used to own jetskis. From my experience it is pretty common.

After my cordless drill has been fully charged if I take it off the charger and put it back on it takes a minute before it recognizes it at 100%.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Take it back and have Walmart test it! They have a 1 year replacement warranty. I bought 2 earlier this year and both read %100 charged when new.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Yesterday I go to Walmart and get a new deep cycle battery for my trolling motor-a 29 series. Been buying batterys from Walmartfor years and never had a problem.

When I get home I put it on the charger and it is 70% of a full charge so I charge it up to 100%. Thing is, if I go back a few hours later and put the charger on it again it reads 90%. But after a minute or so, the battery reads 100%.

Am I just getting a false reading from my charger? I've checked all the connection etc and everything seems OK.
I underlined your problem.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Maybe you could expand on how Walmart is his problem?

If you do a bit of research you will find that around 90% of automotive batteries are made by a company called Johnson Controls. They then private label out to companies like Walmart or interstate. There may be subtle differences in the specifications they are built to, but largely the difference boils down to who has the best balance of warranty and price.

And that is usually Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly right-I've been buying batteries from Walmart since the 80's without a problem. I went down and they load tested the battery and it was OK but they exchanged it for another one anyway just to make me happy. Try that somewhere else.

Get tired of people who bash Walmart just because its Walmart.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I just replaced my walmart battery (size 29 in a 24 volt system) after 6 years... Unfortunately, I also replaced the one I got at Advanced Auto (paid more, was supposed to be their top of the line deep cycle marine) just 2 years and 2 months prior. Unless you are going gel, most of the batteries are all using the same technology. If you have issues early, take it back and exchange it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Only time I haven't had walmart batteries last is when I didn't maintain them over the winter.

It's funny how boatless Grumps has input on this subject,lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts