Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 24 series deep cycle for my TM but want to put a second battery in line (pos to pos, neg to neg) to increase my reserve minutes.

Does the second battery have to be a 24 series also or can I go with a 27 or 29.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't think it did.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
24, 27 and 29 are case sizes, which also correlates to AH capacity. The larger the case the more capacity or power.

Tying them in parallel will keep your voltage the same (pos to pos, neg to neg), however you are pulling equal power from both, therefore the smaller battery will be depleted before the larger one.

That is why battery banks (multiple batteries tied together) are made up of the same capacity battery, for an even discharge.

·
Registered
428 Posts
As long as you are connecting batteries of the same voltage rating in parallel(+ to+, - to-), amp hour differences(from size,age,mca)does not matter. Hooking them together will provide greater current capacity. So Kirby can troll longer...

If the batteries were hooked in series (+ to-), to increase voltage, than equally rated batteries should be used. Current flow in a series circuit is equal at all points, so a smaller battery would discharge faster.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kirby doesn't troll-the most boring way to fish ever invented. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts