Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hartsel forecast from NOAA--Chilly, but relatively light winds. I'll be out there.

Saturday: A slight chance of snow before noon, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming south southeast between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sswan,

Not to be a nay-sayer, but.....I say nay. Southpark seems to have an effect on wind like wind has an effect on cold. Maybe we can call it the southpark factor. It works something like windchill.

6 degrees with a 10 mph wind feels like 5 below.

The southpark factor:

6-9 mph winds feels like a minor squall.

Any forcast over 10mph prepare for hurricane force winds.

Don't believe them.

I'm not saying don't go. Always go. Southpark without wind just wouldn't be the same. What would that leave us to ***** about ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be my fourth time out since the start of this year's open water season. NOAA has been spot on each of the three previous times, including their hourly graphs. If the hourly graph shows the same forecast tomorrow for Saturday as it does today, I'll bet on it.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wind wasn't too bad at Lake A, but it snowed most of the day. And the temp never got anywhere near the 40s while we were there. We stayed until a little after 3:00 p.m. It started getting calm and sunny as we were packing up. I managed to land five--Nothing special.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
sswan said:
The wind wasn't too bad at Lake A, but it snowed most of the day. And the temp never got anywhere near the 40s while we were there. We stayed until a little after 3:00 p.m. It started getting calm and sunny as we were packing up. I managed to land five--Nothing special.
Oh to catch five trout... sounds like heaven right about now!

·
Registered
386 Posts
South Park wind indicator:

I live in South Park and have devised a true method of gauging wind conditions and my ability to go fishing.
I have a 20' high pole in the yard with a 6' length of 5/8" stainless steel chain attached to the top.
If the chain is hanging straight down against the pole and not moving, (A very rare occurrence in S. Park) Take your fly rods and go fishing.
If the chain is banging against the pole, again, take your flyrods and go fishing.
If the chain is pulled out away from the pole, bring you spinning rods and leave the flyrods home.
If the chain is straight out at a 90 degree angle to the pole, bring your spinning rods with the 1/2 to 1oz. jigs.

Simple Huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts