Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was on spring break last week (high school teacher) and got in a few hours of fishing. On Wednesday I went with a friend to the South Platte Park ponds and we didn't have much success. Finally at the third pond we fished we were able to see some bass and I managed to fool one with a purple worm, nothing too big, maybe 15" and solid looking. On Thursday I explored the South Platte River in different areas near Chatfield. I found one nice hole that had a few big suckers (spawning run?) with some trout in the mix. I don't know how many different flies I threw, but was finally able to catch a 14" bow. Also hooked a big sucker on an egg pattern, but it came unbuttoned after a few slashing runs. Sorry no pics, and not the best fishing for me this week, but thought I'd post it up nonetheless. Tight lines everyone. I don't think I'll get much fishing in during April, so keep the posts coming so I can see some of your successes!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SLAYERFISH said:
Yeah this is about time for the big sucker spawning run above chatty. Good place to stock up on laker bait.
Any advice how to catch those spawning suckers? I got one to bite on an egg pattern and last year caught one on some nightcrawler. Any other known methods? I'm betting some people could snag them with snagging hooks, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal, right?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks for the report I'm thinking of fishing that area sometime {the first area listed}. I don't know of to many ways to catch suckers as far as fly or lures are concerned... but back when I used to dunk bait for trouts we used to catch quite a few suckers on nightcrawlers when the worms were on the very bottom. We always tried to avoid the suckers, which caused me to rig my crawlers like a dropshot...this was long before I had ever bass fished or had ever even heard of a dropshot. But anyway I know they'll pick up worms right down in the mud fairly consistently. Last season I caught a couple of suckers while going for other fish, got one on a small storm swimbait, and I even had one hit a mepps#5 on a quick retrieve...didn't expect that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts