Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea a few hatchmaster...we usually land a couple over 22 each trip out...
Luv2fishhere some of the best spots are closer to spinney...The first couple of holes after the fence hold some real hogs!!! If your planning to head up anytime soon send me an email [email protected] and I'll give you some up to date info!!!
afishman I wish my trips were planned out but most of them are last second. I still want to hit the platte down here for some big carp

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pondfisher said:
Great fish!!!!  You must have one hell of a rep among local trout communities.!
I'm trying to help spin fisherman who love catching trout realize the trophy tailwaters aren't for fly fisherman only...and even though tossing tiny flies will put some fish in the net, so will using big rapala type plugs and tube jigs. I'm an outdoor writer and hopefully when I'm dead and gone people remeber me pioneering the method that's called "Crash The Hatch"...not saying I'm the first guy to talk about fishing tailwaters with spinning gear or the first spin fisherman to catch nice fish, but as far as I know I'm one of the first to write about it...and with a two lure system that I use its just deadly!!! I've spoke with Mr. Stange over the phone a few times so be on the look out later this year for my name in In-fisherman

Eric Allee

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
well, that'll discredit you some in my eyes, fishinguitars (being on infisherman). Jk...that's a great accomplishment. I've bagged some monsters on tubes on tailwaters...never anything on the floating rapalas though...I need to give them a better try. I've caught plenty on countdowns so I guess floating probably work too, on smaller shallower rivers like the pan or the taylor I bet they would be deadly. How do you fish the floating rapalas?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey TFB I use floating rapala's in smaller rivers with a depth of less than 3 feet, but in the bigger waters I'll use husky jerks and suspending rouges. Just like bass fishing the lure suspending in the strike zone is deadly!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
My son, before he "converted" over to flyfishing, used to use big floating Rapalas for the big boys on the Blue River by the outlet mall. We have also used them on the S Platte River from Deckers on to the Cheeseman Canyon. We caught many hogs in the tailwater and below. Way, way back in the day we used to catch 6-8" chubs with salmon eggs in slow side channels of the S Platte and then use them for the giant browns in the main part of the river. Fishing plugs and tubes is easy fishing - and fun! With the floating Rapalas I like to reel and jerk across the river. Experiment with speed. At times let the lure just swing across the current without imparting any action. Sometimes trout will come up if you're bringing in the Rapala on the surface slowly with light twitches - just like bass fishing! The are many ways to get into action - lures or flies. Probably the most successful fishermen are those equipped to do both. John

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
In-Fisherman has run several articles about slashbaits and jerkbaits in rivers, but they are usually tailored to fishing bigwater like the White River or tribs to the Great Lakes. But Trout are trout?

Ever use shallow Shad Raps? I have caught some nice fish at Spinney on them.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Crank baits are really good optins on big rivers. Rapala tail dancers in rainbow finish kills the north platte trout.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
black spinnerbaits in the middle of the night are also killer on browns!!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
fishinguitars said:
black spinnerbaits in the middle of the night are also killer on browns!!!!
Are you serious? The only time I've ever had a trout hit a spinnerbait type lure was when I was at stagecoach fishing buzzbaits for pike in the middle of the day. Wham a pretty good brown (probably 5 pounds or so) nails it and after a good fight spits the hook. I never would have thought a spinnerbait though? That's good to know.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It seems that fishing at night is what you need to do to get the big browns. Years back fishing the Taylor we said there was no way we where going to have any luck flyfishing during the day but figured the big trout would go hunting at night and we where right. After that trip we hit all are usually rivers late evening and fish into the night and are success went way up.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm trying to help spin fisherman who love catching trout realize the trophy tailwaters aren't for fly fisherman only...and even though tossing tiny flies will put some fish in the net, so will using big rapala type plugs and tube jigs. I'm an outdoor writer and hopefully when I'm dead and gone people remeber me pioneering the method that's called "Crash The Hatch"...not saying I'm the first guy to talk about fishing tailwaters with spinning gear or the first spin fisherman to catch nice fish, but as far as I know I'm one of the first to write about it...and with a two lure system that I use its just deadly!!! I've spoke with Mr. Stange over the phone a few times so be on the look out later this year for my name in In-fisherman

Eric Allee
LOL.... oh to be 25 again. Hard to believe it was that long ago, and also that I wanted to be remembered for being able to catch fish. I was looking this up for an article I'm working on. Thought some of you old school guys would get a kick out of this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts