Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a small local pond after work. After missing 3 fish on a spinnerbait I switched to a t rigged senko and that was the ticket. After 5 fish I set the hook on a good one for the pond, drag was screaming. The fish buried itself in the weeds so I gave it slack and waited. The fish finally figured it was loose and headed for open water, got it turned and finally landed. FREAKING carp, hooked in the mouth even. Never caught one on plastics

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I caught one in the mouth on a 1/2oz spinnerbait last year, I though I had a record bucket mouth! Nope just a 15lbs carp...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
People don't give carp the respect they deserve. I love catching them.

If carp could jump we wouldn't even be talking about smallies.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
People don't give carp the respect they deserve. I love catching them.

If carp could jump we wouldn't even be talking about smallies.:rolleyes:

Ya and if they liked to blast a zara spook off the top....
they are fun to haul in, I'd be happier to fish for em if they were more often aggressive in behavior and like to hit more bass type lures ex. I have had em hit rattle traps and small plastics . theyve been hard for me to catch on plastics cuz they usually spit em back out so quickly. I did catch one on the fly rod one time and I'd like to do that again!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The biggest fish I've seen swimming have been grass carp. I've never caught one but I'd like to for sure.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Bet your heart was pumping!!

Carp suck when caught accidently(Because your expecting something else) but overall i give carp respect.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't dis-like carp. Made a few trips just for them last year. The let down was catching bass after bass and thinking I was into a good one

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Diesel-

What type of setup do you use for grass carp?

When I'm out in my kayak and these guys do the porpoising thing its almost scary.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Filthy beasts. I don't see why people intentionally fish for them.
Caught 2 at chatty last summer, one on a gulp minnow, and one on a half digested shad a smallie puked up in my boat,... both in the upper teens lb wise. Hella fight and I gotta say the cold water ones her are not near as disgusting as back home (Phx). In those desert lakes in the summer they stink to high heaven,and have weird lessions on em (warm water breeds bacteria),... frickin disgusting. The 2 last summer were big, pristene, and fought hard! Beats sittin around not catching anything:-\

Not that I would ever go out targeting them,... but can see why some would.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Caught 2 at chatty last summer, one on a gulp minnow, and one on a half digested shad a smallie puked up in my boat,... both in the upper teens lb wise. Hella fight and I gotta say the cold water ones her are not near as disgusting as back home (Phx). In those desert lakes in the summer they stink to high heaven,and have weird lessions on em (warm water breeds bacteria),... frickin disgusting. The 2 last summer were big, pristene, and fought hard! Beats sittin around not catching anything:-\

Not that I would ever go out targeting them,... but can see why some would.

Those might be mirror carp you're talking about. .they look nasty, caught one by accident once and didn't even wanna touch it. I'd be down to go for some carp tho...the tug is the drug...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Those might be mirror carp you're talking about. .they look nasty, caught one by accident once and didn't even wanna touch it. I'd be down to go for some carp tho...the tug is the drug...
Mirror carp are actually just a genetic variation I'm told,... not a different species. But no, the large mouth there too get kinda funky in the hottest parts of July. Like any little nick they get on there body is easily infected/don't heal up good, they smell more, have more parasites in there mouth etc. Just is what it is when you live on the edge of hell. Think that smash mouth song might as well me walking on the sun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts