Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
No pics so it musta been a dream. Went to the Flattops with wife and kids. (Jack Russels). Nabbed an excellent campsite Saturday noonish. Hiked a couple miles to a lake and was bummed to see 4 guys fishing it already. They were just dunking bait and looking bored. Oh well might as well huck a few-

Walked a snowdrift to a large fallen tree and followed it out onto the water about 20 feet. Now I could wing the kasty into the abyss! 2nd cast a 16" brooky came to hand. 10 casts later a 19" 4 lb brooky wrapped himself around the tree I was standing on. I walk backwards off the tree then walk the shore about a 100 ft to the right and manage to coax the thrashing beast off of the snag. Get it to shore and at the last millisecond the tattered line breaks right at the lure. he flips into the water but stops about 3 ft out. So I want my lure back and jump into the water scoop with both hands miss the 1st try get him the 2nd try he lands on the weeds then I try to boot him farther up and he goes right between my legs to freedom.

So there I stand with two ice water soakers and my only "Cutthroat " kasty gone. Got another little one then hike a mile thru the snow/water/slush mix to a higher lake. and there's a guy at this lake also. He was leaving so I hucked for an hour changed up several times finally get a 15" er on a 3/8 oz. perch croc then a couple 12"ers on a gold/orange croc. All brookies all fun got some good exercise. The snow is melting fast most high lakes will soon be open if they aren't already.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Sounds like a story, Iron Mike with a limited number of Kastmasters??? Yeah right......

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason I had 20 kastys but only 2 gold ones-

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice Slayer! I love that area, my Grandpa lived in Yampa for the last 40 years until he passed last December. I spent much of my childhood learning how to hunt and Fly Fish there. Going up to the bigger campground just down the road from where you were second week of July. Hoping to hike into a lake that I used to do well in for big Cutts. It has been over a decade, so I hope it has not changed too much. Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice Slayer! I love that area, my Grandpa lived in Yampa for the last 40 years until he passed last December. I spent much of my childhood learning how to hunt and Fly Fish there. Going up to the bigger campground just down the road from where you were second week of July. Hoping to hike into a lake that I used to do well in for big Cutts. It has been over a decade, so I hope it has not changed too much. Thanks for the report!
My brother was postmaster of Yampa from like 1983-1992? So yeah I have fished most every lake in the flattops.
I know exactly where you are headed. I hear there are still some big ass cutts there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My brother was postmaster of Yampa from like 1983-1992? So yeah I have fished most every lake in the flattops.
I know exactly where you are headed. I hear there are still some big ass cutts there.
Nice, well I will try not to be lazy and post a report with pictures when I return from the trip.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You should have just fished stillwater and saved yourself the hike! That place is getting busy for sure, last year the parking lot was full and people were parking along the road.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Wow, crazy story! Very cool, sucks to lose a great brookie.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should have just fished stillwater and saved yourself the hike! That place is getting busy for sure, last year the parking lot was full and people were parking along the road.
A hiker dude was telling me the Flattops area was rated #10 in the nation for car camping fun.

·
Registered
305 Posts
"Wanderings and Other Tall Tales" Authored by Slayerfish.

Nice report, I already have my eye on some lakes I want to get back into. Any report that doesn't have a rock o' death seems to be lacking..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts