Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bit of planning and timing of the weather, I got together my dad, my father in law and my dad's best friend sam to go crappie fishing on an eastern lake whos name is not important.

My dad brought the worms, Sam brought the minnows and lawrence (FIL) brought the burritos (OMG GRUB)...

The fishing was rather uneventful, we caught a couple large crappie on minnows in 6 fow and two wiper on worms on the bottom (again, lake does not matter as you can go to most of em east of Pueblo and catch fish this way)...

I didn't have a camera with me, but the memories will be burned into my head forever. There is something about taking three 60+ year old men out on a boat and laughing, eating, telling stories and catching a couple fish that makes me feel so content. The roles reversed, and taking care of the men who tolerated me as a child is truly an honor.

wana go fishing Hobie?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Awesome...

I would be glad to come out of retirement...Hobie and Ovey going fishing...me serving as moderator/chaperone...and if you two dont play nice you have to sit in the backseat either holding hands or with your arm around each other talking nice!...sorry heard that one on the fan...it was how a dad controlled his two sons in the backseat when they were bad on road trips...make them hold hands or put their arm around each other for 50 miles...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds like it was a priceless moment; I still wish my dad was alive so I could take him out on the boat to hear some good old stories and share some laughs. Enjoy your time together!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem is you have to watch what you say... any little comment can be taken and spun into "what's wrong with the world!" .... but then they all laugh. I have had countless smiles since the trip just thinking about the little phrases and remarks of those guys. Smiling now as I type. That's gotta be good for ya right?

·
Registered
633 Posts
"Priceless" is exactly what that trip was and the time spent with those guys can remain an awesome memory forever. Sure wish I could have one more trip in the boat with my dad. :'( Cherish EVERY one you get!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
my dad didn't like fishing untill his last 2 years. i talked him into going out one day in the boat. he said he would like to go for a boat ride, but didn't think we would catch any fish with him along. well it was one of those days when you couldn't help but catch the fish. we got a limit of stripers and a limit of salmon all 7-9 lb fish. from then on he was hooked. the best trip was when he got out of the hospital, he wanted to go fishing. he was very weak and we only were able to fish for 2 hours, we caught a couple and that was his last trip. a week later he couldn't get out of bed and left us 6 weeks later. take your dad out fishing as often as you can

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
brook king said:
Good report, Oyey. You were obviously raised to have respect for, and to appreciate, your elders.
Oyey...I am definately your elder...you going to throw rose petals when I walk...when we go fishing later this next month?...kewl you get to pull the wiper wagon!...bwahahahahahahaaa...

And bummer no reponse on my offer to moderate/chaperone a cease fire on the dual grumpy smurf front previously mentioned in this thread...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Nice j!
Sounds like a good time man.
It always isn't about the fish but with the company you have with you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Great post!! The outdoors bind families in so many ways. My dad taught my brothers and me about fishing, hunting, and the importance of keeping the wild, wild. Although he left us way to early, every time I am on the water or in the woods I cannot help but think of him and thank him for the wonderful skills he taught us.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
When it comes to times like that, the fish are a cherry on top. Glad to hear you had a quality time with people who are special to you!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My grandpa just turned 95 and he stopped fishing a couple yrs ago when he slipped and fell and broke his wrist fly fishing. All my other brothers got to stay with him for the summers in his Rv and fish the whole summer. I never got that opportunity and the ones that did hate to go fishing. My grandpa to this day still wants to go fishing and says he would watch. Some times I wish I lived in Pueblo to have these opportunitys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts