Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
That almost sounds too good to be true.

I have two of the Yamaha versions. Use them in parallel for the houseboat at Lake Powell and with relatively low hours one is burning oil. I wouldn’t buy the Yamahas again.

As a consideration, one of the advantages of the Honda is that they have a fuel pump that will accommodate an extended run fuel tank. My Yamaha doesn’t. Not sure how the Sams club one would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
That almost sounds too good to be true.

I have two of the Yamaha versions. Use them in parallel for the houseboat at Lake Powell and with relatively low hours one is burning oil. I wouldn’t buy the Yamahas again.

As a consideration, one of the advantages of the Honda is that they have a fuel pump that will accommodate an extended run fuel tank. My Yamaha doesn’t. Not sure how the Sams club one would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I may make a suggestion Bionic.
If it was me and I used generators for power I would consider using a quality oil.
They hold a small amount of oil making the cost acceptable IMO.
Amsoil, Red Line.

:)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
No a bad deal. I have thought about getting one, but I really don't have much a use for it. The only thing I would use it for is to recharge the boat batteries on a multi-day trip. But I can just get a camping spot with electricity for that. I think it would take me years to break even based on the difference between a primitive spot and a spot with electricity... Maybe it would be worth it if I had as many toys as you guys...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Honda 2000

Had one that gave good service for a couple years. Then the gas pump diaphragm split and emptied the contents of the gas tank into the oil sump. Not a happy ending. Took a while to figure out where the fuel was going and why the engine seized up. No Hondas for me anymore...……. very poor design.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But I can just get a camping spot with electricity for that. I think it would take me years to break even based on the difference between a primitive spot and a spot with electricity... .
I camp in free spots usually. Havasu they want $30 night for a camping spot with elec. Most elec camps are 20-30/nt. Pay for it in a year.:thumb:

I already found the free camping at Havasu-

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I camp in free spots usually. Havasu they want $30 night for a camping spot with elec. Most elec camps are 20-30/nt. Pay for it in a year.:thumb:

I already found the free camping at Havasu-
Different math. The generator would be all on me. Probably the gas for the generator too. Where I camp the most, the cost of having 1 utility is $9 per day, on top of the regular camping fee. That $9 is usually split between 2-3 people. I almost never go fishing/camping by myself. I'm guessing that my annual cost is $40-50 a year for that electricity. It would take 9-10 years to break even. That's without the gas to fuel the generator. At close to $3 per gallon, there is basically no financial advantage. But there are times when you are camping in the wild and there ain't no electricity there...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes i do fish and camp in primitive conditions.

aND i EAT hOT dOGS!:embarassed:

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Still costs more for less. Even if you payed the $35 for a Sams membership you'd still save $4!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Whatever-
Hey most people don't have your BP Panty points, Peekster-
LMAO! You missed my point there Sleeper! The Westinghouse 2500 is $200 more for only 500 more watt than the Champion 2000 and you know as well as I when dry camping you more than likely never use that extra 500 watt. Also for the regular price of that #2 ranked generator you can buy 2 of the Champions and hook them up together for the higher wattage, and the Champions actually have a higher rating in customer reviews which IMHO is very important! :thumb: Hell, before we got the Champion I was looking at the Predator which also has a higher review ratings but for a free Champion I'm no dummy! Also my BPS points weren't the issue here but the price of this unit is low enough for the lower budget shopper and just as good...and if you use your BPS/Cabelas card you get more point to get more free ****!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You missed MY point! The Westy is $399. Champion is $397.

Huh?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts