Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you suggest? I decided I'm done talking trash about how much I hate walleyes, and I'm going to teach myself how to fish for them this spring.

I bought a bunch of various sizes baits, but I want to know what kind of rods you use...

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just had my first experience with landbigfish replacing one of my favorite lures. They are great easy site to use and fast delivery.

13 Fishing Omen 7'1" MH is a great rod too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
6'6" to 6'8" medium power, fast action tip. I use StCroix Avid. Lots of good choices in rods are available. My freind Kevin uses a Gander Mountain branded rod and loves it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
For eyes a 6'6"- 6'8" MF or MXF is a good choice. Just depends on how large the bait is and what kind of cadence you're trying to achieve.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I use the 6'6" St Croix Premier, Medium.

great rod to get skunked with when throwing jerks if I do say so myself

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
No way I'd ever use a glass cranking rod for jerks. And Goonie can't use a baitcaster, stop playin', fools!

:D

6'-6" to 7'-0", med to medium heavy (I prefer med/hvy), fast to extra fast action.

If you're working on a budget, Gander Mountain Tournament and GSX rods are your best value bet, IMO. The GSX rod blanks are Omen blanks. On sale, those rods are worth every penny. I also think they're lighter and far more sensitive than St. Croix's over priced, tree branch rods.

If money isn't a problem, go with what AO said.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents!

And I can use a baitcaster.... When I'm ice fishing. Lol.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Fished a St Croix avid 6'8" mxf for years, still have it, still love it for jerks.

My newest favorite rod for jerks is this one in the 7' MH.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Zodias_Spinning_Rods/descpage-ZDS.html

Donald swore by a MH for eyes, I didn't wanna believe it, but last year i tried It and felt I improved hookup to land ratio. Eyes got hard mouths, fish braid with a leader. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I use a 7'0 medium heavy fast action. I second(or triple) gander mountain rods, I've got a couple elite series I picked up on sale last year and I like them a lot. Also like bps carbon lites, with bps you don't have to buy a warranty so that's nice. I have thrown jerk baits on a ton of different rods though pretty succesfuly

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My newest favorite rod for jerks is this one in the 7' MH.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...cpage-ZDS.html
I love my Shimano's. Jackall Poison Adrena and Zodias are without a doubt great jerkbait rods. I found mine at 30%-50% cheaper on Ebay auctions this past year so I didn't have to spend retail and was able to buy 6.

But, for the money you can't beat St. Croix Mojo Bass if you can still find 'em.
It all boils down to personal taste and budget Goon-IMO

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Possitive charges triggering bites??

I'm looking at electric down riggers for my fishing tours at Dillon and came across this. WTF? Trollers are weird.

"The Digi-Troll IV HS incorporates Cannon’s Positive Ion Control (PIC) technology. PIC is based on the fact that when the metal components of a boat – such as the motor and downrigger cable – contact the water, they create a steady but unpredictable electrical charge in the water. The strength and type of charge varies greatly depending on the different types of metals contacting the water and the mineral content or conductivity of the water. Since fish are attracted by a slight positive charge and repelled by a strong positive or a negative charge, generating and controlling the correct charge can be critical to the success of your fishing. Only Cannon electric downriggers send a slight constant positive charge down the cable to attract fish to your bait or lure."

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm looking at electric down riggers for my fishing tours at Dillon and came across this. WTF? Trollers are weird.

"The Digi-Troll IV HS incorporates Cannon’s Positive Ion Control (PIC) technology. PIC is based on the fact that when the metal components of a boat – such as the motor and downrigger cable – contact the water, they create a steady but unpredictable electrical charge in the water. The strength and type of charge varies greatly depending on the different types of metals contacting the water and the mineral content or conductivity of the water. Since fish are attracted by a slight positive charge and repelled by a strong positive or a negative charge, generating and controlling the correct charge can be critical to the success of your fishing. Only Cannon electric downriggers send a slight constant positive charge down the cable to attract fish to your bait or lure."
That seems a little intense...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
7' MH fast action. I bought 2 Cabela's Tournament Trail rods last winter on clearance for $40 each. They're actually pretty decent rods for the money. $70 regular price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts