Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in a bit, so here goes...

Hooked up with Tony tthepikester at his crib at 0600 this am. I do mean we hooked up the 2 sled trailer with 2 sleds Granby bound. Freakin tail lights on trailer don't work. 20 minutes tracing, swearing, screw it let's jump in the truck and go. Go figure, trailer hitch and ball have a ground problem...lights work when driving. Stop for thousands of dollars of gas in the awesome diesel truck. Thing really flies.

Headed up I70, the hooked up trailer comes unhooked short of the Morrison exit. We're now in the median trying to re-hook up the now unhooked trailer. Thank goodness for drag chains. Fortunately absolute no damage done to trailer or the diesel truck. Thanks to the Statie for pulling across the median behind us and turning on his lights so something really bad happening was alleviated, like someone plowing into us we're still somewhat on the highway. On our way again, lights still working.

Get to Granby after messing with all this crap say 0815. It's 5 degrees below zero, so it's cold. Get the sleds started, one fails and clutch won't turn belt. Tony replaces belt...no go, drag 2 sleds, now down to one, and it's 0930. Put that sled via our GPS's right on top of one of our waypoints. Not the biggest Laker tail, but still a double digit fish right around 31-32". Pic doesn't do justice as it was a healthy fish.

No waterdog, just a plain ol tube jig, salted, no meat. Fish looked my way for 20 minutes before committing. Gotta love Laker fishing. I look more freaked than the fish because it was really cold and I wanted a release quick. I only had 2 bites, 1 fish. Tony sucks as he missed and missed and missed. He still landed 3 fish. We had as usual a great FUN day.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
could be worse, you could have slid off a county road by the lake....

nice fish.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sounds like guys had some trials & tribulations getting uo there. All's well that ends well ... sweet fish!

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Turned out to be a fun day after a real shitty week! Losing the trailer was a freak accident, cruising 70 miles an hour, hit a bump on an overpass then seeing nothing but sparks in the mirror! I know it was hooked up proper from my pre-trip walk around and can only think it was a hitch malfunction...hitch will be replaced. Over 30+ years of towing professionally and for recreational and never lost a trailer, don't want to happen again!
Was fun working off the rust, my new Ice Armor Lift Suit was warm and comfortable, and worked on some new bait techniques that the fish seemed to really like!

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Wow scary...glad you guys are ok...I have a small paddalock I put through the hitch lock down hole or whatever you call it...nice fish wookie!...hope you two got some quiet time after that trip stress and were in your "happy" place like below!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
That has to be the DEFINTION of PERSEVERANCE!!!
And a NICE mac to boot!!
Way to go!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Good job you two!
We should hook up at the G again sometime!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sweet fellas
Nice fish

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rough start to the trip, nice to see the luck go from bad to good once you were finally able to get out on the ice.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
. . . Now will there be more info in the YouTube version??

Just kidding :biggrin1: Great post, and awesome fish Mark!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts