Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the sitch: I'm fishing in this little lake, which is no bait: artificial lures and flies only. I'm having fun catching teeny bluegills on a teeny fly. I have one about 2 inches long, I'm pulling it in, and this humongous bass comes up and inhales the bluegill. Light line, low drag; about fifteen minutes later, I manage to land the bass. Meanwhile, Mr. Ranger shows up, watching with keen interest. He asks: "What'd you catch him on?" Problem: if I say, "A #20 Black Gnat," it's not strictly true. If I say, "A small bluegill," he gets me for using bait. What do I say? What's the legal position? All wit and wisdom appreciated . . .

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hmmmm, well, seems that you did catch him on the fly. after all where did you hook him? So logically you did nothing wrong.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If I were in that situation, I'd tell the truth and nothing but the truth.... I'll hope that Mr. Ranger doesn't be anal about it. I've had that nearly happen a few times at Sawhill way back in the late 90's.

Too bad the bigmouths didn't officially snap at the bluegills cause that would've been a great story to tell. If I were to have been confronted, I'd tell the truth. Especially if Mr. Ranger saw. Show Mr. ranger your lure, explain the scenario and if he still is skeptic about it then oh well, maybe fight it in court or something.

That's just me though.....

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Tell him "Don't worry about it". They usually leave you alone after that. If that doesn't work. Reach in the Bass' mouth, pull out the bluegill, then pull out the fly. The whole time singing the " I know an old woman who swallowed a fly song".  ;D   Know one is going to target Bass w/ a size 20 hook.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It depends what is tied to the end of your line if the fly has a size 1 hook and you happened to catch the bluegill under the bottom lip and when you set the hook it went threw the top of his mouth, then I'd tell you to lie. ;)

There is nothing to hold the bass on the line though so he would likely get off before you ever brought him in anyways. I have had pike and gar take of tails and such from fish I was bringing in but never landed them just half a fish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Tell the truth...The ranger should have no problem with the landed bass. This happens often enough where he won't be all that surprised. (normally the fish lets go)

You tied on a fly...the rest was a natural coincidence and out of your control for the most part. No fines or penalties would be given.

Did you keep the bass or toss him back?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good answers, folks. Of course it is unlikely -- please note that I called this a puzzle, not a report. It was a fantasy I had while catching the bluegills. I make my living telling stories, including a specialty on tall tales. Sorry if it seemed too plausible. It was just for fun; and fun was had with the answers. Grace and peace.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I actually had something similar to that happen to me. I was fishing Boulder Creek one evening. I hooked a small rainbow on a size 16 royal wulff, and as I was about to land it, this big brown latched onto it and went under a rock. I tried to lift it a couple of times, just feeling dead weight. Finally the brown let go, and I brought in and released the rainbow, not too much the worse for wear. I guess conceivably I could have been busted for using a game fish as bait, although use of live bait is allowed in Boulder Canyon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
more likely then u might think. my dad had same thing happen once with a trophy fish
another time he had a little smallie on i was watching THEN BAM poll just bent so hard, never even got it off bottom to see it
we're pretty sure what happened, muskie or walleye nailed it.
which makes sense cause the first fish is gonna be really vulnerable in that situation, pulled outta shallow cover, and cant run hehe swim fast tied to your pole
I would think a ranger would be understanding... but i could see someone taking advantage of that by using bait fish on purpose with an excuse to get away with it, but the ranger would probably see your extra bait and start writing the ticket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts