Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I am very impressed by the quality of the posts and replies on this site! I have a friend coming in to town from AZ tomorrow, and I was thinking of taking the boat out for about 5 days and hunting down soem eyes, or soem wipers...or even crappie.

Anyone know anything about some action in the last couple of days?

We usually fish Glendo, Pueblo, Chatfield, Cherry Creek. Ihave not been out this year since ice fishing a month or so ago, but I am hoping to help my firend enjoy his experienceby possibly doing more "catc hing" than fishing...!

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated-we don't mind driving..even if it's across a couple states....THANKS in advance!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
I might think seriously about going south this weekend...John Martin, Pueblo, Lathrop State Park, Brush Hollow or Trinidad...unless your friend from Arizona likes snow fishing...it looks like it is going to get pretty crappy up here weather wise from Saturday afternoon through Monday...one can usually retreat south this time of year and avoid the weather...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ye sir, that is what I was thinking...Hoping somebody on here will give me some specifics on ANYWHERE that might be heating up now!

No thanks on the SNOW fishing....we already did that this year! (stagecoach ice was ASWESOME again, this year!)

Thanks for the reply!
D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Powell would be fun, but I usually wait until May for the Walleye and the stripeys to heat up.

Waynes words is a COOL site, and Wayne Gustaveson is a good man!

I have a houseboat down there...

Elephant Butte!??? Last time I was down there, they were ntohing but a HUGE CARP PIT.

The locals told me that 73% of the lake's population consisted of TRASH fish...there were lots of articles in their local papers over the last years about the problems with that dying fishery...I was disappointed, and we spent 8 days there (2 with guides) striking out on the game fish....(one bug cat, and one HUGE bluegill...nothing else to speak of!)

Thanks though...

I am, looking for SPECIFICS (not speculation) from people who are CATCHING...PLEASE.

D

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Any reports on Navijo since you have 5 days...I bet John Martin probably has the warmest water...or Pueblo...the key for finding the bite this time of year...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You might also try Trinidad. It has Saugeye, Wiper, Smallies and tons of trout if the water is still cold. I haven't really heard of anything poping right now except Lake powell?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EyeGuy said:
Elephant Butte!???  Last time I was down there, they were ntohing but a HUGE CARP PIT.

The locals told me that 73% of the lake's population consisted of TRASH fish...there were lots of articles in their local papers over the last years about the problems with that dying fishery...I was disappointed, and we spent 8 days there (2 with guides) striking out on the game fish....(one bug cat, and one HUGE bluegill...nothing else to speak of!)
EB is hot for stripers. My son and I were there about 6 weeks ago when the water was colder and we had a blast. Either hook up with Brian at ABQ or go on your own. Brian has a no fish, no pay program and I guarantee you will be paying cause he never gets skunked.

If you go on your own, use u rigs and bucktails, troll from the marina to the dam and from the marina to rattlesnake.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Eye,

I have only caught a few walleye so far this spring (Chatfield). I was worried I might have to sell my brand new boat after the first two trips in February(no fish), but its begining to cooperate (catch fish) now. My fishing partner wants to ice fish while there is still good ice, so we are still ice fishing (Jefferson). I caught a 36 incher last weekend - he might have a point.

Just looking at the ABQsportfishing web site makes me want to run down there for the weekend, especially when a big storm is on its way to this area. ABQ is a very informative site for EB, nothing is as good as Wayne's is for Powell.

Terre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was that a 36 inch pike? I love Chatfield...As soon as the eyes start coming up into the shallows, I can hit the sunken road bed and pull fish all day! It is really fun, and especially for teaching beginners.

I usually fish Wyoming, and have just been amazed at the size and availability of the big eyes there. The trout there are HUGE, as well.

I also enjoy Pueblo...it just seems like it's still a bit early.

Thanks very much for the posts...I hope to see you out there some day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NICE! I'd love to take the boat up to Granby this year and have a couple of trys at a fat laker!

Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Heckuva mac! I must say I cant stand that lake,but you da woman!Shows ya how much I know!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Slayerfish,

What can't you stand about Jefferson? It is really beautiful up there at 10,700 feet. Who cares if your catching fish,,, I do. The wind does blow at times. In summer there are a ton of people lining the shore catching stocker rainbow. Serious fisherman should never go there....

unless they have a boat.

I saw your pics from granby, nice, I fish it quite a bit myself. I don't focus on the rainbow so I appreciate the info (your other post). I caught my largest ever laker at Granby, its a fun reservior.

Terre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts