Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always had a love affair with Pueblo. I guess it dates back to when as a kid I'd hitch a ride with my brother in law in 71-72 and while he ran an earthmover for dam construction, I'd catch tarantulas and rattlesnakes. And then all through the eighties and nineties I'd take my wife, boys, and friends to the reservoir every week spring through fall. My boys learned how to swim and water ski at the reservoir..as did Yvette. Well, she still can't swim a stroke but she's one heck of a slalom skier. And of course all of the fishing. So many good times were spent there with family and friends.

I've seen the lake mature, watched the walleye fishery grow into an amazing fishery and the years of small skinny bass now turning into brutes. I enjoyed the wiper bounty years and hope to see them return. And of course crappie..well, they come and go as the water levels rise or fall. It's amazing all the stuff you think about when you fish alone.

So, I got up early and arrived at the reservoir at 6:15. I launched the toon and had my limit of walleyes by seven. It was like that all day long. I really love the high water levels. I fished until 5:00 and rode out the wind that whipped up at about 3:45. When that wind came up, I had 22 consecutive casts... a walleye every cast. I'd started counting fish when I'd arrived, but I already had 35 by 8:30 and decided why bother. And the fish never quit biting. It really was an epic day. Even with all of the shorts, I easily could have filled seven or eight limits. Days you live to fish for. Caught a few chunky smallies, a couple bonus crappies that must have thought they were walleyes and two tiny wipers. I also got checked by the ranger when I beached the toon. Nice guy. He said he'd been worried seeing me bobbing out in the waves. Said he'd been watching through his binoculars and the fishing sure looked good. I hadn't been checked there in years.

Well anyway, I left my new phone in the truck. So, just a cooler pic.

Poor crappie got his tail caught in my motor...Hmmm... how to scale a crappie.

·
Registered
625 Posts
daaamn, great catches. sounds like a fun day! thanks for the fun story/report.

you should be a kayak guide. I'd buy :) right attitude, right knowledge.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to fish too much to ever be a guide. And then there's that initial investment. It's a tough way to make a living. You gotta love it. Although, if I were to hire a guide. If he's good, I'd prefer he fished also. You can learn a lot by watching, asking and imitating.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Awesome Dave!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow...you and Jeff should fish Nate's walleye tourney Saturday...you guys would probably lap the field!...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I think I just got lucky. Chose the right day before the storm front. I remember the first time I ever met Jeff. Me and a buddy had our toons out at Aurora. Jeff met us up there with his boat. Well, a storm came up and the lightning was cracking. I mean flash booming. Jeff was smart and quickly got off the lake. My buddy soon followed. But, the wind kicked up and I was catching one eye after another. Couldn't help but get bit. I stayed out there and when I finally got in my buddy says. "You're like that priest in Caddy Shack that was having the best golf game of his life..except luckily you're still alive you idiot." I think his last two words pretty much sum me up.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Yes have experienced the lightning fish fest many times. Spinney, 11-mile, Glendo, A-town, high lakes, sometimes we caught nothing all day until u see the 1st bolt then bam it's on.
When u get the sparks between your thumb and reel u know its gonna be good!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Definitely pretty good. We were out yesterday afternoon and couldve caught walleyes all day but tried to find some wiper....and failed :D That 10-20fow is on fire....

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, not much on trolling, but it's a good way to find the wiper and then you can stop and cast. Yesterday, picked up the two babies just by tossing out a crank bait while motoring from one walleye spot to another. Had a couple other small ones hit and miss. Just with so few wipers, and such a big lake, you gotta find them first to have a chance.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
What a day of fishing Hobie.

Reports like this have been getting me through the last month with only one day of fishing.

THANKS!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Yeah, not much on trolling, but it's a good way to find the wiper and then you can stop and cast. Yesterday, picked up the two babies just by tossing out a crank bait while motoring from one walleye spot to another. Had a couple other small ones hit and miss. Just with so few wipers, and such a big lake, you gotta find them first to have a chance.
Yeah we actually did find a little school and missed a couple hits near it. But you're def right. Big lake and not many of them. Amazing how many smaller ones there are right now. We may actually get to see boils again soon

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Dave nobody can say you don't have pueblo dialed in. I haven't had my boat out in a year, just catching a ride with friends a few times and that hasn't been very productive. if I can get my son fired up again I will get back on the lake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts