1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sounds like an infomercial to me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ok I have like this special spray, that coats your bait with this UV color, which fish can see but humans cant, so basically it like uses the same lure action your lure already has, but now the fish can see it better and from farther away, so when you catch fish on your lure its not because of the lure its because of my special spray that has no scent and you cant see.

So send me a PM and I'll sell you a bottle of wate.....errr I mean special spray, and I'll beat their price even.

Why I didnt think of this before Dr. Jeckal I dont know.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
In theory it should work. If some one gives it a try let us know how it works. I think it could be very interesting for walleye at night under a full moon.

Dan

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, in theory I think it will not work (or at least it will not work in the way they claim)
... here is the NERD in me coming out again ...

The blurb cited above states that the formula in Fool-a-Fish uses titanium dioxide (TiO2) to reflect Ultraviolet light to attract fish

The following was excerpted directly from the
http://www.foolafish.com/
website.

"When you use Fool-a-Fish, fish see your bait like a thousand tiny mirrors!

How it Works
Visible light only penetrates clear ocean water to a depth of about 30-40 feet; UVA light travels up to 1/2-mile, penetrating even murky and off-color water.
Lures and baits treated with Fool-a-Fish reflect UVA light in every direction, just like a spinning "Disco Ball."
Fish use UV vision to find locate their prey; they swarm to bait or lures coated with Fool-a-Fish."

==========================

What I have found from my limited research into TiO2 (and I have worked directly on TiO2 purification processes for the manufacture of pigments) is that ...

from the following website ... http://www.rgu.ac.uk/cree/general/page.cfm?pge=10783

"TiO2 is used for many industrial applications such as the production of white emulsion paint as well as the white coating on many brands of chewing gum. TiO2, however absorbs Ultraviolet light (350-380 nm)."

In summary TiO2 ABSORBS LIGHT IN  THE ULTRAVIOLET SPECTRUM ... and DOES NOT REFLECT IT LIKE A "DISCO BALL"!

The UVA range has wavelengths from 315-400 nanometers and the lower and upper limits of this range are outside the above quoted span that is absorbed by TiO2.  However, it is very unlikely that TiO2 absorbs only the middle of the band and reflects the upper and lower wavelengths ... but I do not know for sure.

This being said the "Fool-a-Fish" stuff (if it works at all) likely creates a very dark spot in the water where your lure is.  This, in fact, may work to attract fish ... we all know how black leeches attract Walleye.

Anyway, based on the above info, I think it may be a scam ... buyer beware!

Mac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts