Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while you have the perfect fishing day. You know those days, when you tell the story about how well you did and your friends think you are full of it. Started the day at Gross, had only a few bites. Water temp was 34-36deg, which can be a bit to cold for me. De-Icing rod tips gets old. Hit Arvada Res. on the way back in to town, and so it began. Walked to the other side, loaded up a 2 hook (barb less) Fluorocarbon leader with 1/2 sinker, threw on some eggs and waited. Ya, I waited about 30 seconds and BAM. Within 2 hours, 22 fish landed and released, 10-15 popped off. And a whole jar of eggs bitten away. I had to quite because I had no eggs left. It does not get any better then that, as far as good old fun. I love converging upslope cold fronts. Thank you nature!!! Who else has had that perfect fishing day?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fishing the colorado river around glenwood springs in late december. We found a large, sandy, slow, deep hole that had plenty of open water to fish. We would toss out a small piece nightcrawler and jig it in. Literally every cast we had a fish on that day. We quit after 6 hours because we had caught too many we thought. The AVERAGE fish was a 20" cuttbow, and we caught many 8+ pounds fish each. Final tallies were somewhere near 50 a piece. A solid example was when my dad hooked a rainbow about 9-10 pounds. It jumped and took him down river. As he followed and was fighting it, I caught 3 more rainbows/cuttbows that were 4 pounds. I have a few pictures from those days in late december, and will post them sometime if somebody would like to see a plethora of 4-5 pound rainbows.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to see some pics....

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
i do have one of those days,  it might sound strange though.

My brother died 2 years ago, my family and I drove back to SD for the funeral and I had no intention of fishing.  When we got back there it was all stress and saddness.  I decided that I needed a break and I borrowed gear from my dad.

I got up the morning of the funeral at 5 am and it was storming.  Thunder, lightning and rain at the hotel, but clear skies to the west!  I drove the 20 minutes out there and went to a place where I had fished many times from the shore with my brother.  Still a light rain falling there and not quite fully light.  I cast out a line with a bit of crawler just covering the hook, got the other line ready and already had a bite.  Nice 10 inch bluegill.  I fished for about 2 hours in a light, warm rain,  sitting on a log on the shore.  caught probably 30 fish, bluegill, crappie and walleye.  I was relaxed and calm.  Felt very close to my brother at that time.  When i stopped around 730 and went back to town I was ready to face the day.  

2 short hours of fishing, calm, relaxing, revitalizing.  Alone with my thoughts.  On perhaps the saddest day of my life.  It was perfect.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Dan that is a kewl story...I think bro was hooking you up with a few of those fish...God Bless!...

E

·
0 Posts
Wow, Dan...that is what I call shining a light!

I had the perfect day about a year ago (this June)...Was up in Wyoming, with a business client...we hadn't planned well, so when we arrived at the lake, we discover there is a Pro Walleye tournament going on, and they are in the second of three days... There were over 300 boats registered in the tourny, and I was depressed to say the least!

The reports were grim, and according to my friends around the lake, the weigh ins were a total joke.

We went out and spotted pros on every one of the main and secondary point on the lake...I mean you caouldn't even CONSIDER trolling, as everywhere was CROWDED!

There was just one thing no one on the lake was doing...so I went there and did it.

We got into some serious submerged vegetation...a real bi#ch to fish, as ti was fresh and long and thick...a MESS! We located a feeder creek with patches of the cabbage right outisde the mouth of it, and began to pitch HUGE offerings to the holes in the weeds.

BIG pumpkin curly tail grubls with jumbo leeches on there for obscenity's sake...and PRESTO! We began being dragged all over that bay by the bigges batch of Walleye I have ever seen! There was not a fish under 5 pounds all day, and we caught half a dozen of 'em!

I boated a 30 1/2" piglet that was a REAL beaut! It was a day to remember...only bad thing was that my client had never fished for walleye in his life...so he's RUINED.

Look forward to hearing others!

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Now thats a great story...when nothing else is working try something off the norm...they have to be somewhere and eating...it made me wonder about all the tournament prefishing out at Cherry Creek...nothing working...I was wondering about vegetation around the island...or is there something really off the wall they can try...since it sounds like Creek isnt cooperating for anyone...it is my least favorite reservoir in Colorado...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts