Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided, after getting back from work this afternoon, to head out and find a covey of Scaled Quail that we had located a week ago (while heading to a new duck hunting spot). Didn't have a whole lot of time, but the walk was not that far, and still plenty of time till shooting hour ended.

Wind was blowing pretty hard, but the temp was perfect for the walking.. Of course along the way we jumped three Mallards on a little creek (go figure..we went to hunt the area for ducks last week..and nothing. Go for Quail and....yeeaaaah...well you know how that story always goes). Anyway, not long and we found the covey...like huge covey!! After the smoke cleared we remarkably got every one...of NOTHING! Well luckily Scaled Quail are d**n stupid, so after walking ten feet I jumped them again. They split in two groups, one across the creek to where my brother was (njh on the forum), the other in front of me. I missed again, but my brother dropped one. Well he took after his bunch, I took after mine. Found them in some Cottonwood trees, took another shot, and my first one downed! After picking him up, I followed them one last time flushing them easily. It was a pretty long shot, but I managed to knock one more down. It was hell trying to find (no stupid comments about "no dog huh...?" I double as that too), but after awhile (and calling my bro to come over and help) it was found. The evening was already winding down, so we called it afterwords. It was a nice outing for only taking about an hour or so!!

Anyways..tally was five betwixt us two..(pictures below).

Stay safe out there, and may yuh' let the feathers fly!!!

D.J.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Awesome! That's another bird I'd love to go chase some time!

Great job... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts