Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at a pretty well known stop at work... I noticed a pile of skeet reese fishing rods in various styles. I was messing with them to see what they were about, usually I just walk by them at the tackle shops because they look ugly as hell. I guess I just want to ask, are they worth the 90-100 dollar asking price? they seem very nice, and made me curious about how they'd perform at my family's ponds.

thanks in advance for sincere answers.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shaun Solomon said:
I would like to give you a sincere answer, but I don't want to antagonize anyone known to be an employee... :-X
keep in mind I also do get a pretty good discount with the store.

if you don't want to give me a sincere answer on here, pm me.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Meh no thanks
But I think one might be perfect for you. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
They are some decent rods. But it bugs the crap out of me that they dont expose the blank under the reel seat on some of the casting models. If i am going to spend 100$ on a rod im going to buy a veritas or a carbonlite.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Bass Star said:
They are some decent rods. But it bugs the crap out of me that they dont expose the blank under the reel seat on some of the casting models. If i am going to spend 100$ on a rod im going to buy a veritas or a carbonlite.
I love the perception that hand to blank exposure is the only way to tell if a fish is biting....I should start building rods with no seat at all....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So true. I have my rods custom built now and on some the blank is exposed, on some not.

A good way to judge how sensitive a rod is-have someone put the tip end of the rod against their throat and talk-you should be able to feel the vibration caused by their voice.

Its not recommended you do this with an ugly stick. ;D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Koldkut said:
I love the perception that hand to blank exposure is the only way to tell if a fish is biting....I should start building rods with no seat at all....
It does not appear that it damages sensitivity... might actually help?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Shaun Solomon said:
Koldkut said:
It does not appear that it damages sensitivity... might actually help?
No, it doesn't damage sensitivity. Anything that is attached to the rod between your hand and the tip soaks up vibrations, the more flexible something is, the more vibrations is can rob from your hand. The lighter the weight components make a bigger difference than allowing your hand to touch the blank. The lightest components are a win, micro guides are good, but I'd be willing to bet that a full ECSM seat will kick the crap out of a pac bay minima(already split seat, and these are what St. Croix is using) seat. It's a tough proposition on a factory rod for $100 to save weight. I need to get out more and fish with those $100 rods so I have a point of comparison amongst them. If it were me, I'd be shopping for the lightest rod I could find in that price range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts