Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I don't post much here....so here's a quick report. Hit Horsetooth from 4 to 12 on friday night.....caught some nice smallies on tubes and blade baits. Highest water temp found was 54 degrees....we were a bit unprepared for the weather....cold, windy, and nothing like thursday night like it was supposed to be.

Hit some local ponds on Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon....the largemouth were on the feed. Caught on tubes, senkos, and spinnerbaits. My daughter caught her share and lost a 3-4 pound smallie at the shore.....at least we saw her....was disappointing for us....but it's fuel like that which will make her want to go back again and again. Hope everyone had a great weekend.....here's a few pics...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice fish!

Looks like you guys had a good day.

I need to find me some " bass ponds" for fishing with my boy; he doesn't have the patience for trout stream fishing quite yet. As you said; that action keeps them interested and wanting to fish more.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
WTG mogul!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.....I figure I spent about 17 hours fishing between friday and sunday...8 hours at the tooth and 9 hours with the girls. For some reason the fishing bug has a full bite on me this year...I can't get enough.

Nice fish!

Looks like you guys had a good day.

I need to find me some " bass ponds" for fishing with my boy; he doesn't have the patience for trout stream fishing quite yet. As you said; that action keeps them interested and wanting to fish more.
I found that a texas rigged plastic...tube, senko, worm or grub is the way to go for the kids....and they seem to excel with it. They get sidetracked and fish it slow...and it doesn't get snagged much. The trick is getting them to set the hook on that rig. A tube rigged with an exposed hook is ideal but only in snag free water. If they can cast and reel over and over then a rattle trap, small spinnerbait, or squarebill works great too. Another key....I had my girls trained on a spinning reel asap....at age 5....they do great. Teach them to pull the slack out before they start to reel and they're golden. The long rod allows them easier casting and much, much easier hook ups. Getting leverage on those short kids rods is tough....try it...you'll easily catch 3 times the amount of bluegills on a 5 1/2 foot rod over a 3 footer....if it's tough for us....it's really hard for kids to get a good hook up.

As far as ponds.....not sure where you are but the Ft. Collins, Loveland and Boulder area has plenty. Also plenty of little smallies for kids at Horsetooth, Lake Loveland and Chatfield...among many others.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks guys.....I figure I spent about 17 hours fishing between friday and sunday...8 hours at the tooth and 9 hours with the girls. For some reason the fishing bug has a full bite on me this year...I can't get enough.

I found that a texas rigged plastic...tube, senko, worm or grub is the way to go for the kids....and they seem to excel with it. They get sidetracked and fish it slow...and it doesn't get snagged much. The trick is getting them to set the hook on that rig. A tube rigged with an exposed hook is ideal but only in snag free water. If they can cast and reel over and over then a rattle trap, small spinnerbait, or squarebill works great too. Another key....I had my girls trained on a spinning reel asap....at age 5....they do great. Teach them to pull the slack out before they start to reel and they're golden. The long rod allows them easier casting and much, much easier hook ups. Getting leverage on those short kids rods is tough....try it...you'll easily catch 3 times the amount of bluegills on a 5 1/2 foot rod over a 3 footer....if it's tough for us....it's really hard for kids to get a good hook up.

As far as ponds.....not sure where you are but the Ft. Collins, Loveland and Boulder area has plenty. Also plenty of little smallies for kids at Horsetooth, Lake Loveland and Chatfield...among many others.
Thanks for the info man.

I've tried a spinning reel with my 6 yr old, but he's still working on getting it down. I've been thinking about getting him a new rod, so I'll take your advice and get something a little longer for him. I think he needs a pair of kids waders too; he always wants to get in the water with me.

I'm in the Springs. I know of a few "ponds" around here, but we've never done well at them (yet). At least not like the FL bass fishing we did before moving to CO.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice Mogul Buster!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice job mogul it's always awesome to see the kids have success and the smile on there faces when they catch going to get my boys out this weekend !!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Nice man
Did you use to post reports lol?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts