Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished Rifle and Harvey gap today, I noticed their limit for smallmouth sign was gone. I stopped in the ranger station at Rifle Gap to ask them about it and they informed me that the CPW has done away with the limit on smallmouth bass and they are encouraging people to keep every smallmouth they catch! According to the park ranger Rifle Gap has too many smallmouth and a lake cannot support such a large population! When will our CPW wise up on how to manage a lake? I have fished Rifle all my life and it has only started producing large smallmouth constantly in the last 5 or so years. They're so concerned about the "non-native" species taking over yet they stock worthless "non-native" slimers on a regular basis!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Going to the park ranger rifle gap has too many smallmouth and a lake cannot support such a large population!
Or are they just using that instead of the Endangered Species Act in the Colorado drainage?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Hey Colorado mackinaw and fordo... Where are ya on this?

This is another example on how Colorado fishing could be better if it wasn't for bonehead moves by CPW management.

I'll keep this in mind when I'm fishing out of state tomorrow afternoon, giving the local town I'm staying by my hard earned money instead of a place in Colorado.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Colorado mackinaw and fordo... Where are ya on this?

This is another example on how Colorado fishing could be better if it wasn't for bonehead moves by CPW management.

I'll keep this in mind when I'm fishing out of state tomorrow afternoon, giving the local town I'm staying by my hard earned money instead of a place in Colorado.
With the $$$ we spend on fishing licenses, parks passes, etc. CDW should be stocking more fish AND more varieties than the "Slimers".

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
With the $$$ we spend on fishing licenses, parks passes, etc. CDW should be stocking more fish AND more varieties than the "Slimers".

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
The lake I'm hitting up has an elevation of 7k and is filled with big slimers of all kinds, and trophy eyes. Colorado and their fishermen that defend them make silly excuses as why we cannot do the same thing. See the previous threads...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Reallly been surprised they have been protecting SMB considering the FEDS and Colorado river, yeah I know they built a screen but still stocked sterile walleyes. Crazy **** is that they are now protecting the illegally stocked perch. whats next?

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Wow 44 years ago and the original crook of a politician with Tricky Dick...unless you can prove Johnson and big business had Kennedy shot cuz he was going to stop the Vietnam war...

In 1972, President Nixon declared that conservation efforts in the United States aimed toward preventing the extinction of species were inadequate and called on the 93rd Congress to develop comprehensive endangered species legislation. Congress responded, and on December 28th, the Endangered Species Act (ESA) of 1973 was signed into law.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The lake I'm hitting up has an elevation of 7k and is filled with big slimers of all kinds, and trophy eyes. Colorado and their fishermen that defend them make silly excuses as why we cannot do the same thing. See the previous threads...
Yes, but not nearly the same fishing pressure as many of our "Colorado" lakes.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
If our lakes are being loved to death then why doesn't CPW have tighter regs on how many fish you can keep of a certain species and how long they need to be. That would of course require more enforcement and they don't seem to be interested in that.

I'm getting tired of hearing how little water we have-it is what is is and its what we have to work with. There are remedies. Its just easier for them to dump some 10" trout in a lake and call it "job done".

I'm in TX right now and almost no one keeps bass-not little ones not big ones-if fishing ethics teach people in TX to release bass then we can do it too. And with other species as well. Some species are for the table but some are too valuable to be caught only once.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Dammit goon you are so flippin dense sometimes. This case is totally different the main point of those other threads wich was that rainbow trout must be raised and stocked in colorado in order to make the majority of anglers happy which is what funds ALL fish managent. This case has nothing to do with what fisherman want or trout taking priority over warm water species. It is all about the Feds and the Endangered Fish Recovery Act and saving the pike minnow, humpback chub, and some other stupid species of sucker in the Colorado river. Do I agree with them taking the easy way out and just manipulating bag limits on small mouth and pike to try and make difference, Hell no!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If our lakes are being loved to death then why doesn't CPW have tighter regs on how many fish you can keep of a certain species and how long they need to be. That would of course require more enforcement and they don't seem to be interested in that.

I'm getting tired of hearing how little water we have-it is what is is and its what we have to work with. There are remedies. Its just easier for them to dump some 10" trout in a lake and call it "job done".

I'm in TX right now and almost no one keeps bass-not little ones not big ones-if fishing ethics teach people in TX to release bass then we can do it too. And with other species as well. Some species are for the table but some are too valuable to be caught only once.
Every bass and walleye fishery on the front range says catch and release for bass under 15 and only one over, catch and release for walleye under 18 and only one over. Some cases allow for two or three over but very few. They close fishing in the spawning areaso during the spawn for walleye.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Dammit goon you are so flippin dense sometimes. This case is totally different the main point of those other threads wich was that rainbow trout must be raised and stocked in colorado in order to make the majority of anglers happy which is what funds ALL fish managent. This case has nothing to do with what fisherman want or trout taking priority over warm water species. It is all about the Feds and the Endangered Fish Recovery Act and saving the pike minnow, humpback chub, and some other stupid species of sucker in the Colorado river. Do I agree with them taking the easy way out and just manipulating bag limits on small mouth and pike to try and make difference, Hell no!
couldnt of said it better!!!!!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Every bass and walleye fishery on the front range says catch and release for bass under 15 and only one over, catch and release for walleye under 18 and only one over. Some cases allow for two or three over but very few. They close fishing in the spawning areaso during the spawn for walleye.
What about quincy allowing 5 over 18"?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What about quincy allowing 5 over 18"?
Point is, you get away from the upper Colorado river basin the bass fisheries in this state are very well protected.
heres all the of the ones i have fished. Check out the regs, these bag limits are consistent at most every bass fishery in the state

JUMBO RESERVOIR - LOGAN, SEDGWICK
1. Min. size for wipers is 15 inches long.
2. Min. size for crappie is 10 inches long.
3. Min. size for walleye and saugeye is 15
inches long.
4. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate
longer than 21 inches may be taken per day.
5. Visitors ages 19-64 must have annual Jumbo
Res./Prewitt Res. access permit, unless you
have a valid and current Colorado hunting
or fishing license. Permits are $36, available
on the CPW website or at license agents.

SAINT VRAIN STATE PARK - WELD
BALD EAGLE LAKE:
1. Artificial flies and lures only. Scented flies
or lures must be 1.5 inches or longer.
2. All largemouth and smallmouth bass must
be returned to the water immediately.

BOYD LAKE - LARIMER
1. Min. size for largemouth bass is 15 inches
long.
2. Min. size for smallmouth bass is 12 inches long.
inches long.

WITHIN THE PUEBLO RESERVOIR STATE WILDLIFE
AREA:
1. Bag, possession and min. size for walleye and
saugeye is 5 in the aggregate, 18 inches long.
2. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate

BIG THOMPSON PONDS - LARIMER
1. Bag, possession and min. size for largemouth
and smallmouth bass is 1 in aggregate,
15 inches long

BRUSH HOLLOW RESERVOIR - FREMONT
1. Min. size for largemouth, smallmouth and
spotted bass is 15 inches long.

TRINIDAD RESERVOIR - LAS ANIMAS
2. Bag and possession limit for walleye and
saugeye is 5 in the aggregate.
3. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate
longer than 18 inches may be taken per day

STANDLEY LAKE - JEFFERSON
1. Min. size for walleye and saugeye is 15 inches
long.

NORTH STERLING RESERVOIR - LOGAN
1. Min. size for largemouth bass is 15 inches long.
3. Min. size for wipers is 15 inches long. Only
1 can be longer than 25 inches.
4. Min. size for walleye and saugeye is 15
inches long.
5. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate

LONE TREE RESERVOIR - LARIMER
1. Min. size for largemouth and smallmouth
bass is 15 inches long.
2. Min. size for wipers is 15 inches long.
inches long.
longer than 21 inches may be taken per day

LON HAGLER RESERVOIR - LARIMER
18 inches long.

JACKSON LAKE (RESERVOIR) - MORGAN
1. Ice-fishing shelters must be portable.
inches long.
5. Fishing prohibited in outlet ditch below dam
around rotary screen.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
But as kirbydog said...

What about enforcement of those regs?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well, more trout makes for more liscence buyers and tourism. Licsense buyers and tourism results in more money for the CPW. More money for the CPW could result in hiring more officers to enforce bass regulations. Are you starting to get it yet? Bread and butter buddy, just keep thinking bread and butter

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
No it's not. You and others have lamented that you are grateful for what you got here in Colorado and the opportunities this state provides, and the management that is the CPW. Enjoy your 13 inch catchable steelhead ******* children that are considered non-native (and in some places, invasive) ... I'm sure they will be thrown in this lake to fill the void....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Point is, you get away from the upper Colorado river basin the bass fisheries in this state are very well protected.
heres all the of the ones i have fished. Check out the regs, these bag limits are consistent at most every bass fishery in the state

JUMBO RESERVOIR - LOGAN, SEDGWICK
1. Min. size for wipers is 15 inches long.
2. Min. size for crappie is 10 inches long.
inches long.
5. Visitors ages 19-64 must have annual Jumbo
Res./Prewitt Res. access permit, unless you
have a valid and current Colorado hunting
or fishing license. Permits are $36, available
on the CPW website or at license agents.

SAINT VRAIN STATE PARK - WELD
BALD EAGLE LAKE:
1. Artificial flies and lures only. Scented flies
or lures must be 1.5 inches or longer.
2. All largemouth and smallmouth bass must
be returned to the water immediately.

BOYD LAKE - LARIMER
1. Min. size for largemouth bass is 15 inches
long.
inches long.

WITHIN THE PUEBLO RESERVOIR STATE WILDLIFE
AREA:
1. Bag, possession and min. size for walleye and
saugeye is 5 in the aggregate, 18 inches long.

BIG THOMPSON PONDS - LARIMER
15 inches long

BRUSH HOLLOW RESERVOIR - FREMONT

TRINIDAD RESERVOIR - LAS ANIMAS
2. Bag and possession limit for walleye and
saugeye is 5 in the aggregate.
3. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate
longer than 18 inches may be taken per day

STANDLEY LAKE - JEFFERSON
1. Min. size for walleye and saugeye is 15 inches
long.

NORTH STERLING RESERVOIR - LOGAN
1. Min. size for largemouth bass is 15 inches long.
3. Min. size for wipers is 15 inches long. Only
1 can be longer than 25 inches.
4. Min. size for walleye and saugeye is 15
inches long.
5. Only 1 walleye or saugeye in the aggregate

LONE TREE RESERVOIR - LARIMER
1. Min. size for largemouth and smallmouth
bass is 15 inches long.
inches long.
longer than 21 inches may be taken per day

LON HAGLER RESERVOIR - LARIMER
18 inches long.

JACKSON LAKE (RESERVOIR) - MORGAN
1. Ice-fishing shelters must be portable.
inches long.
5. Fishing prohibited in outlet ditch below dam
around rotary screen.
What are the bag and possession limits for bass at those lakes though? Back to quincy. It probably has the best potential to become a trophy bass lake if managed properly. Why 5 fish over 18"?? Why not 3-5 15" and NONE over 18"? Probably because they think all the big bass would eat the stocker trout...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts