Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have sucked at catching my target species for the past few months... An unbelievable skunk streak that I cannot explain. Bait-fish, sunfish and LMBs seem to be easy as pie to put on the stringer and in the bucket--but no cats.

I have a rare day off this Sunday and am planning on hitting up some local waters... I'm a stubborn f*** who can't admit defeat, so I'm tempted to go after cats again--with the water and air cooling a bit now. Part of me, however, says to target other species to change things up a bit.

When you are skunking on a target species, do you stay after it until you succeed or do you step away, target something else, and clear the air (so to speak)?

Keep responses to a thousand words or less, spelling and grammar will be graded separately but equally.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like we are going to rent a Jon boat at Cumberland mountain State Park and try for some big shellcrackers and bass. It is listed to have cats in there too, but I might leave the cat gear home...

It'll give me a chance to get my sonar out and do some jigging. :)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
z,

Yea, its pretty small for a state park lake... I'll be bringing my 6' heavy Eagle Claw Ambassadeur rod as a backup. Two ULs, and a Medium Ugly Stik also. Looks like dad will be joining us, so we'll probably cruise around cover and try to mark some schools. I'll also bring my cast net in case we find a school of gills. No limit on those here, and the little ones make good cut bait... Big ones will go in the skillet.

Would love to find some eater cats....

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the cast net out today after soaking it in fabric softener and water for 24 hours. Really limbered up!!!

2 perfect pancake throws, 5 bananas, and 6-7 casts I can only describe as "sideways tacos".

I have alot of work to do...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts