Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live, from Gunnison! Boondock, Rivrunner1 and Riv's dad left fir Big Blue about 2 hours ago now, for some early ice action. Not sure how they're doing out there, but hopefully we'll hear from them soon. Meanwhile, back at the cabin, Oyey, Tangler and myself are rigged and ready to hit the tailwater of Taylor...should be in the water by 8:30.

Updates to follow. Stay tuned.

Wiggles O0

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man. Tough day for me. No cell coverage in the canyon. I skunked. Had many lookers, some chasers and a ton that would just sloooooowly swim away from my egg pattern. Anyway. The drive up was great. No bad weather to speak of. Oyey stuck a few, 8, I believe. Doc Tangler got 4. Sorelips showed up later, he was the big numbers guy today. He stuck 20+ fish today. I think both he and Oyey got 1 fish over 18". Crazy weather all day, but mostly just cold and windy. Riv, Boon and Riv's dad had a tougher time. Alpinefisher showed up to me the Riv crew. No fish til just before 5:00 pm. Boon and Riv's dad both got 1 laker. Riv got 2 lakers. Alpinefisher was the high numbers guy with 7. All macks were in the 19-20 range. Tough day for all. Ice for me tomorrow, fly for Oyey and Tangler.

Hopefully pics and better reports for tomorrow. Later...time to take a shot!

O0

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nice work guys. Sounds like fun times. I'm looking forward to some of the pics.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow Kenny you have turned into an ice fishing mad man! The world is ending!!!...good luck tomorrow!!!...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cool guys - sounds like a fun trip. Bunch of us going in May again. You are some brave souls going in Feb. I fished that section in Dec one time and my boots froze to the pavement as soon as I got out of the river.

Good luck and get us some pics of some of those 10lb pigs.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Fishing was pretty tough at the Taylor, which we anticipated. The flows were very low, it was windy and snowing a lot of the time, the overcast sky put a nasty grey glare across the water, and the banks had loads of snow on them. The piled up snow actually helped out a bit for sight fishing because it provided an elevated angle for seeing down into the river when the wind wasn't chopping the surface.

It is REALLY hazardous in the parking lot. It's pure ice anywhere where pavement is exposed. I'm amazed none of us ate it out there. I know I came horribly close several times.

The best pieces of advice I can give for the fishing right now is long leaders (10+ feet), no split shot as it was alerting the fish, and not to waste time with fish that aren't on the feed. The deep holes were a little more forgiving. 9 ft. leader passed, and a split shot was okay too as long as it was about 2 feet above the flies. The biggest fish we saw were out in the runs in plain sight, while numbers of smalled fish were stacked in the holes. Browns were spawning in a few areas and there were light midge hatches around 2:00 both days. Didn't see any rainbow spawn activity and saw very few rainbows in general. However, the 6 biggest fish I saw all weekend were all bows...

We caught lots and lots of these once Sorelips dialed it in and shared his technique.

One of sorelips' numerous catches:

My biggest fish of the weekend, a 19 inch brown on an egg.

I also had a roughly 20 inch rainbow come unbuttoned at my feet. :'(

Near the end of day 2 Oyey stuck the fish we had come looking for. She measured out to 25 inches long with a 14 inch girth.

Congratulations dude. You more than earned that fish! I have a new found respect for what it actually takes to hook one of the trophies in there. Mans game 8)

Pic taken in Salida:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Nice. I probably would stand no chance with those big feesh and I would have eaten chit on the pavement for sure.(You know this.) Still wish I could have joined ya'll. Where's the drinking pics? :D

Good fish J!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dammit, Tang...you didn't edit out the background of "Trough X"....WTH, dude? :D

Day 2 was just as brutal as day 1 for me. Same story. Slow bite, and the FEW chances I had, I whiffed... Still, it was a good time. For Gunnison, in February, the weather was actually "nice?"...at one point, we got RAINED on... ???

Anyway, I have a few pics to share as well. Nothing like the sweet pics Tangler takes, but we all know how much we love pics on here, yeah?

I'll need some time to get them downloaded.

And Hummus, drinking pics? What ever do you speak of?? O0

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
So it was actually raining, eh?

Last time we really got to fish the Trough was when it was snowing, in June, no less. Nice to see you all got into fish. How were flows? (Taylor was all over the map last year!) Nothing's more satisfying than finally getting old mr big fish to jaw on your fly... oh, they can be picky little buggers...

Glad to hear you did well. Long leaders, lots of split shot, nerves of steel and electric long johns, or really warm fleece pants! ;)

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics, as promised...

Doc Tangler, puttin' in work

Sorelips...spent some time in this hole. He yanked a few fish that day. :)

Sorelips, Tangler and Oyey

Looking down the canyon

Scenery

If you look closely, you should see a nice bright splash of red-orange...

A cleaned up image of what was in the water...I think I can see 3 fish... ;)

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Thanks Cam... Such a great time. I just woke up.....felt like I forgot what sleep was. I will add much moor later.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts