Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit aurora for a couple hours tonight. When I got there it was super windy with a little rain. It proceeded to calm down a bit. Only got two, one on a green swimn caffeine shad and one on a pineapple shad lucky craft jerk. Was hoping for a wiper with the weather we had but I’ll keep trying. Might go back tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice walley. Is it common to catch a wiper there?
I’ve only fished it a few times but I know they’re in there and have been stocked somewhat regularly from the CPW survey and management data. I also know there’s some monsters in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hit aurora for a couple hours tonight. When I got there it was super windy with a little rain. It proceeded to calm down a bit. Only got two, one on a green swimn caffeine shad and one on a pineapple shad lucky craft jerk. Was hoping for a wiper with the weather we had but I’ll keep trying. Might go back tomorrow night.

I’ve been having a lot of success using spinner/night crawler combo.

First time fishing in Colorado last night, I was using a night crawler and hooked a huge walleye but it came off 😫 I’ve caught 18lb stripped bass on this rod and this walleye was super impressive. Didn’t even know what a walleye looked like until last night.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Stockings of wiper there pretty few and far between these days compared to the good old days in the 90s and early 2000's...last stocked 6 years ago in 2014 they had went to every 3 years but had to skip 2017 due to nothing to stock...they are more interested in perch there now and wipers cut into perch survival rates...much better places to go for wiper numbers...I would be surprised if there are any pre 2010 fish in there which would would mean not many giants of the good old days when you could find fish in the 30 to 33 inch range...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stockings of wiper there pretty few and far between these days compared to the good old days in the 90s and early 2000's...last stocked 6 years ago in 2014 they had went to every 3 years but had to skip 2017 due to nothing to stock...they are more interested in perch there now and wipers cut into perch survival rates...much better places to go for wiper numbers...I would be surprised if there are any pre 2010 fish in there which would would mean not many giants of the good old days when you could find fish in the 30 to 33 inch range...
According to the “fish and survey management data” PDF they post, it was stocked with wipers in 2019, 2016 and 2014.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m so confused, what is a wiper?
A white bass/ striped bass hybrid. They’re incredibly powerful and a blast to catch. Pound for pound, they’re considered one of, if no the, strongest fish freshwater fish in Colorado. This is my most recent wiper catch.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Well hopefully that is true heard a different story from an Aurora ranger...and I will say I havent seen them in their normal seasonal locations or in any kind of numbers...1 to 4 at a time...and due to Covid and living a few miles away I have been there a lot in the last 2 months...with that gin clear water and 25 years of chasing them out there I wish people luck with that unicorn...they definitely march to the beat of an abnormal wiper drummer...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
So hopefully we will start seeing a bunch of cornish game wipers (fish under 10 lbs) in the next 5 years...I will say I was told they would much rather see perch numbers than wiper numbers to have fishery of fish that people can actually catch and in numbers...lol I am a bad perch fisherman...I bet I have caught less keeper size perch than I haved caught wipers...but then fishing for for forage isnt as much fun as a 10 to 20 lb wiper to me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
A white bass/ striped bass hybrid. They’re incredibly powerful and a blast to catch. Pound for pound, they’re considered one of, if no the, strongest fish freshwater fish in Colorado. This is my most recent wiper catch.

Interesting. We have stripped bass back in NC, we call them rockfish. And I don’t think I’ll ever know what I truly hooked the other night. I saw the dorsal fin and the side of it’s gill that’s it. The dorsal fin of that wiper you are holding, and the walleye dorsal fin look similar..but this fish had almost a reddish hue to it.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
lol you said it put up a super impressive fight it probably wasnt a walleye...they fight closer to a boot full of mud now and then one will put up a fight...mostly they swim just swim around and taste good...

·
Registered
6 Posts
lol you said it put up a super impressive fight it probably wasnt a walleye...they fight closer to a boot full of mud now and then one will put up a fight...mostly they swim just swim around and taste good...
Thanks for the info. Know anything about Bingham lake?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The internet ruined it...had impressive fish...probably still has few...but like ALL small ponds it cannot take the pressure of internet reports...just a shell of what it was...here is a big atown wiper from 10 years ago...Jeff and Hobie didnt have a scale heck they didnt even have a net but they were sure it was over 20...between the 2 of them they have caught a bunch of huge eyes, lakers and wipers so I trust their judgment on it being a 20...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The internet ruined it...had impressive fish...probably still has few...but like ALL small ponds it cannot take the pressure of internet reports...just a shell of what it was...here is a big atown wiper from 10 years ago...Jeff and Hobie didnt have a scale heck they didnt even have a net but they were sure it was over 20...between the 2 of them they have caught a bunch of huge eyes, lakers and wipers so I trust their judgment on it being a 20...

View attachment 32052
That’s a damn impressive fish! That thing looks 30+lbs. And I’ve been fishing Bingham because it’s close to me and it’s a really beautiful place. But before I went, a lot of locals here said it’s just small bass and perch and I might not have any luck. When I first walked up, I was confused because I saw activity everywhere. Big fish hitting the water more aggressively than the freshwater fish I’m used to (all over the lake) I wasn’t sure what they were, lots of bait fish, and there’s a lot of areas that I immediately got excited to fish. But in two trips I’ve caught 6 bass (all under 2lbs) probably a dozen blue gill and hooked that wiper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts