Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really used Baitcasters very much in my life. I just got a new Ambassadeur 6600 D6 Reel and a Fenwick rod. Any one have any opinions on this reel? So far I love it and have no complaints at all. Just wondering what other opinions there are!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got a few Abu Garcia baitcaster reels and I like them a lot. They are reliable and smooth. I also use some of the lower profile baitcasters and the Abu's compare favorably to those.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
work2fish said:
I've got a few Abu Garcia baitcaster reels and I like them a lot.  They are reliable and smooth.  I also use some of the lower profile baitcasters and the Abu's compare favorably to those.
Cool, I had looked at the lower profile reels, like the shimano's and such, but I was drawn to the Abu Garcia. I didn't know too much about it but when I checked it out, it seemed very smooth and sturdy. Was a bit pricey but if it is a good reel I never mind paying the price for it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I had an Abu Garcia baitcaster for a few years..i cant remember which model, a 5500 i think. i used it a lot on catfish and bass back east. it worked geat, but be careful if you use it in saltwater....no matter how much i rinsed it off after each use, it slowly deteriorated and in the end finally died on me. i am certain it was the salt induced corrosion that played a big part in this. (i guess thats would go for any reel, but it seemed to be especially hard on this one) also, if you take it apart for maintenance be sure you pay attention to what you are doing, they can be difficult to get back together properly...

other than that, a great reel. strong, reliable, and easy to use. i might get another if i need another baitcaster.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have had an Ambassaduer in my hand since I was ten years old. There are alot of advantages to a baitcaster once you get good at it. Ambassaduers are tough and reliable reels!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the replies! Glad to know that my initial impression was a good one and I didn't pick a bad reel. I Caught an 18" Cat a couple of nights ago and I did notice how much smoother it was compared to my spinning reels. Almost seemed too smooth!

·
Registered
296 Posts
ive got the 5600 and the 6600 the 66 is the reel i use for ice fishing or trolling it has the bait runner the 56 is my faster water river reel

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You have made a great choice. When you master casting an Abu you can throw anything. The reel will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two abu eon baitcasters and absolutely love them. Also, have a suverann spin caster that is equally awesome. Have owned high end shimanos and Daiwa and think abu holds up to both of them. Great choice.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts