Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering some opinions on the best ways to go about approaching a land owner to gain access on their property? what are some tactics that have worked or have not worked for you? Im primarily looking to access land but this can be applied towards waters as well.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
just walk up to their door, and ask for permission. I offer them fish if I catch any, sometimes. the worse they can say is no.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
just walk up to their door, and ask for permission. I offer them fish if I catch any, sometimes. the worse they can say is no.
x2.... Minus the part where Dave offers fish. I usually start off by telling that I'm a C&R fisherman and I'll gladly pinch down my barbs. Offering to do some cleaning around their property helps too. A case of beer to sweeten the deal never hurts either.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
x2.... Minus the part where Dave offers fish. I usually start off by telling that I'm a C&R fisherman and I'll gladly pinch down my barbs. Offering to do some cleaning around their property helps too. A case of beer to sweeten the deal never hurts either.

Meh, the only places I've asked were in tennessee or oklahoma, where a good chunk of the populace gets stoked on largemouth bass and crappie slabs for dinner.

people here in colorado are ALOT stingier because they know how douchebaggy the lot of fishermen are.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Meh, the only places I've asked were in tennessee or oklahoma, where a good chunk of the populace gets stoked on largemouth bass and crappie slabs for dinner.

people here in colorado are ALOT stingier because they know how douchebaggy the lot of fishermen are.
Yup which is why now you get a lot more no's than in the past.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Don't go up the day pheasant season or elk season starts and ask.

Plan ahead a few months and ask then.

Full regalia camo and orange are good when hunting, but wear normal clothes when asking permission.

Trespass fee of a bottle of whiskey works good.

And a lot of farmers/ranchers like to get a few venison steaks or backstraps.

A lot of the private land I've gained access to is via the friend or work network.

Person A knows that I hunt and fish and their brother in law owns a gang of prarrie land with antelope and viola, I get a recommendation from my friend to his brother in law and access to some good antelope property..

·
Registered
802 Posts
Take a kid with you, I always had my daughter with me going fishing or hunting. But do what the landowner says. If he says just you and your kid, don't show up next time with 3 of your friends. Fastest way to get kicked out.
I used to let hunters on my place, one guy showed up about 2 weeks before dove season with his son and said it would be just him and his son. I told them that would be OK. Well come opening day, here is the Dad and 4 of his friends and the kid wasn't there. They were on the ditch road drinking beer and shooting doves. I called the sheriff and had them removed and told not to come back or they would be charged with trespassing.
Now that bunch has messed it up for anybody else that wants to hunt on my place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have never hunted public land for geese in the 5 years I've been waterfowl hunting. I also live in a farm town community which helps a ton. But go up to their door ask politely and hope all goes well. After every season we always offer a gift card or even goose breasts that we have harvested during the season which will improve the likeliness of the landowner allowing you out next season

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
In Texas, I used to just walk up to the door... I was a kid in rural Texas. Never heard "no"... but one time I got a "The goats go down to the pond to drink when I open the gate at 4:00. Don't be here then."

Most of the time, it was "Throw sunfish on the shore... put back the big bass"

God, I miss Texas fishing.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My dad works at John Deere, so we'd always bring hats (which he got for free) to give to landowners. Those farmers/ranchers out east would be your new best friend for anything labeled john deere.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just ask, offer to help ride fence in the spring or help out around the place. I carry a "Permission to Trespass" form that I made with me. It releases the land owner of any liability and pretty much says I'll be responsible for anything that happens while I'm on the property.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree with a lot of the comments... I take a little time to chat with them rather than ask and go. Also let them know that I will leave gates as I find them (opened or closed), respect the areas where livestock are, and watch out for anyone that may trespassing. Also good to let them know in advance when you are going to be there and tell them when you anticipate leaving the property. Asking them if they would like some of the fish or game you get is always good...

·
Registered
203 Posts
My dad works at John Deere, so we'd always bring hats (which he got for free) to give to landowners. Those farmers/ranchers out east would be your new best friend for anything labeled john deere.
These guys are all about case in my neck of the woods lol
But farmers will appreciate a couple cans of wd 40 or paint we've even given a landowner a couple chords of wood for allowing is access

·
Registered
902 Posts
if the folks that live at cheese-man ever see this forum i will buy them what ever they want [email protected] or any other folks with private access to any other dream fishing spots.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Take a kid with you, I always had my daughter with me going fishing or hunting. But do what the landowner says. If he says just you and your kid, don't show up next time with 3 of your friends. Fastest way to get kicked out.
I used to let hunters on my place, one guy showed up about 2 weeks before dove season with his son and said it would be just him and his son. I told them that would be OK. Well come opening day, here is the Dad and 4 of his friends and the kid wasn't there. They were on the ditch road drinking beer and shooting doves. I called the sheriff and had them removed and told not to come back or they would be charged with trespassing.
Now that bunch has messed it up for anybody else that wants to hunt on my place.
So, Ronco, if I asked to hunt on your land and brought whiskey, would the answer be no? Just kidding! Been making do with public land, I guess I can do it for about another 30 years until I can't hunt any longer. It sucks when people don't value honesty like the ahole that betrayed your generosity.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is good stuff guys giving me some more ideas than I already had! Ronco that is terrible that someone ruined it for everyone else on your property. I guess I started this thread because Ive asked in the past and have gotten no's from owners so I thought maybe I was going about it all wrong!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
really I think it has a lot to o with what you are hunting/fishing! For example if you are hunting Pronghorn my guess is that just about any farmer/land owner would say yes. Unless they already have hunters or family using it. Goats are a big nuisance to farmers. If it's goose/duck or maybe Elk, I'd bet not much you do shy of signing a lease or paying good cash will get you on! Some types of hunting is big dollar for a lot of land owners! Most goose property in the north and east is already leased up by either private groups or hunting clubs. I am looking at a 40 acre piece of land that will be prime for Deer and good for elk. I have already talked to a friend that outfits and he will have 1st dibs on access. I will either get a season lease fee or individual gun access fee. Haven't bought it yet so not sure. If I owned it and someone asked me to access from my land or hunt my land for a buck or elk, i'd say no. If you approach me and ask to shoot a doe with a private land doe tag I'd say yes most likely!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was just gonna say that!
Man the stories I've heard about that lake and none of them are really confirmable since its closed during prime times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts