Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but am always creepin looking to learn new things about fishing. I'm new to catfishing and fairly new to fishing in general. We have been going to the Adams county fairgrounds fishing the big lake every Sunday for the past month and a half. I have tried almost everything worms, chicken liver, chicken breast marinated with anise, prepared dip bait, and even fake chicken liver but I can never get a bite. I've seen John Finney from carp quest out there going for carp but reeling in cats instead. I tried pack bait hoping to get them on that just a bunch of hungry bream nibbled it clean. Im thinking about trying either minnows or goldfish this week. But is there anything else I can try or should be doing?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Maybe try a different fishery? Haha I dunno man I've been trying for cats lately too and it's been challenging to say the least. Got a couple small channels on cut shad but that's about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
First don't use gold fish... I'm not the best cat angler in the world but if you're fishing the right bodies of water you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into cats right now. Especially as the water temps come down a little. My favorite cat spot back in the day was Big Thompson ponds if I didn't get a hit in 20 minutes I'd move until I found fish.

Adams county fairgrounds gets hit pretty hard.... I used to catch cats consistently out there ten years ago, but now I park there and hit the river for carp.

If you hit a few small ponds in the area you'll find them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I might go somewhere else but the thing is I know there are cats in there big ones too I've seen 15 pounders getting pulled out of there. And for the goldfish are they illegal in to use in Colorado? I heard from a friend that they were great bait for bass and catfish.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah I might go somewhere else but the thing is I know there are cats in there big ones too I've seen 15 pounders getting pulled out of there. And for the goldfish are they illegal in to use in Colorado? I heard from a friend that they were great bait for bass and catfish.
I have heard people swear by goldfish. Never tried me myself.

I would assume you have tried different spots on the lake with different types of substrate/structure and what not?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah we used to move around the lake a lot, but now we stay at this peninsula that I've seen cats being caught there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
MY .02 Cents-

I don't know why the powers that be don't change the regs on types of minnows that can be used, but goldfish are legal to use in most places (higher elevations being the exception). I tend to agree with Diesel in the "Please Don't Use" request. There are enough exotic species swimming around our lakes, rivers and streams that don't belong there. Goldfish reproduce like rabbits once established. So "accidental" releases from too many on hooks or leftover from dumped bait buckets could be damaging to our waters.

Lots of other bait options that work for cats.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MY .02 Cents-

I don't know why the powers that be don't change the regs on types of minnows that can be used, but goldfish are legal to use in most places (higher elevations being the exception). I tend to agree with Diesel in the "Please Don't Use" request. There are enough exotic species swimming around our lakes, rivers and streams that don't belong there. Goldfish reproduce like rabbits once established. So "accidental" releases from too many on hooks or leftover from dumped bait buckets could be damaging to our waters.

Lots of other bait options that work for cats.....
Okay that makes sense so I won't use goldfish. Would minnows be a good idea? I there anywhere in the metro area I could buy them or should I just catch them myself?

I'm gonna go out tomorrow around 4:30am and try again with some shrimp and minnows maybe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most of the cats i'm catching, is more than likely due to using highly scented baits, fruit flavors, cinnamon, fish meal etc. - the cats seem to love it - much to my dismay at times. The really big cats though, i rarely catch, most of my accidental captures are in the 2 - 12 lb range. I'm sure the contact I sent you, can "hook you up" ! Do let us know how your cat fishing goes - would love to see some great capture photo's.

As has been mentioned, Adams Co. is highly pressured and can be very hit & miss, for carp as well as other species !

Tight-Lines,
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We finally caught a small 6 inch catfish this morning. It was caught at around 6 o'clock on some corn and worms. Not the best cat but its a start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I told my cousin, we totally forgot to take any pics and he took it home. I was like take a picture nobody is gonna believe but its too late. :(

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's what I told my cousin, we totally forgot to take any pics and he took it home. I was like take a picture nobody is gonna believe but its too late. :(
Your cousin kept a 6 inch catfish? Good luck continuing to get any info from the people on here...I imagine the same fate would have occurred for a trophy cat too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It swallowed the hook and it took us way too long trying to take it out. We do mostly catch and release for small fish and really big fish but we do keep the decent sized ones. This one we were gonna throw it back but god had other plans for him.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It swallowed the hook and it took us way too long trying to take it out. We do mostly catch and release for small fish and really big fish but we do keep the decent sized ones. This one we were gonna throw it back but god had other plans for him.
Look into using circle hooks, although they can get swallowed, it is much less likely to happen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts