Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone.....did someone start the postings about the fairgrounds to distract us away from somewhere?

Just kidding

We have been down to the fairgrounds 3 times this week from 10pm-2am and last night till 4am.  There were 2-3 of us fishing. We tried everything.....worms....chicken liver....chicken liver with garlic.....Powerbait Blood Dough.....Powerbait Liver Dough.  We tried fishing right on the bottom....using a crappie rig to keep it off the bottom, and even with a bobber.  All these combinations and all the various locations recommended on the forum.....NOT A SINGLE BITE!! Skunked 3 times in a row.

Was there something I missed? Anyone have any ideas? I really need to break this skunk streak.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i went last night and caught two cats(my first two of the year i mught add) i caught one on nightcrawler and one on chicken liver. i fished from 7:30 to 11:00 p.m. at the parking area just east of the main entrance. any thing elase you want to know?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got to be kidding. Someone said it was hit or miss but after three nights, with at least 3 people with poles in the water and nothing I figured, all the fish must have been caught lol

I saw lots of them jumping but figured those were carp?

So were you casted close to shore or far out? And how long was your bait in before you caught them? How big were they?

must just be bad luck we are having then

T

·
0 Posts
afishman said:
i went last night and caught two cats(my first two of the year i mught add) i caught one on nightcrawler and one on chicken liver. i fished from 7:30 to 11:00 p.m. at the parking area just east of the main entrance. any thing elase you want to know?
When you parked on the east side- you didn't have to leave? Someone on here said that after 10 pm, they closed the gate to that parking lot and you have to go park on the south side of the lake.

·
Registered
164 Posts
me and trout hunter is going to adams pretty soon, any one else want to go? even if we come up dissapointed with no fish we can still have fun.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ONE WAS 16" THE OTHER ABOUT 20" ONE I CAUGHT ABOUT FORTY FEET OUT THE OTHER ABOUT 20 FEET OUT. PLUS I MISSED A BUNCH MORE BITES

·
Registered
460 Posts
BE PATIENT!!!!!! Remember catfish are scavingers. They come out only to eat, the closer the food the better. If tehy pick up teh scent of your bait, they will slowly come out of hiding and slowly track it down. Let your bait be! Thats why catfisherman have bells on their poles. Here is some info i use: Catfish tend to be found where there are dark holes for them ot hide in. (Ex: rocks, trees, old docks,etc) Put your bait closer to these more cats will swim by. As i said, catfish are scavengers. This means you must leave the bait in one spot and not move it! The cats will find it and eat it. By putting the bait closer to a sheltered area where the cats hide, more catfish pass by your bait. This means more chances of a cat eating your bait. Catfish find food food mostly (but not entirely) by smell. If you put your bait out and move it, the scent leads them to nowhere. If you leave your bait, the scent leads the cats right up to you! Also remember. Mo stink, mo fish! Quantity doesnt matter either! Also for bait, you know the stink that you cant stand when you leave worms in a hot car? Well the cats love that stink. Mix it with some fo your bait (not other worms), but something like powerbait dough.  Go back and try again but dont touch your poles once you cast except to check your bait. With catfish give each type of bait 30-45 minutes before changing it. Also wiht three or six different poles in teh water, that a lot of different scents. Next time try putting one of your poles out wiht a worm or chicken liver. Teh outside most poles and the pole closest to the middle (or upstream[current]) from teh center should have a scent on them. If a catfish is following a scent trail adn they find one they liek better, they will chase the better fo teh two. The chicken liver and worms are a nice little treat that they can find while following another scent trail. Something like a snack while on the road.Hope this helps.
Click on the link below for picture:
[img=http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/1227/untitled6fk.th.png]

·
Registered
943 Posts
HUNTER THAT IS A GREAT POST I ALWAYS HAVE DIFFERENT BAITS ON MY TWO POLES AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT 45 MINUTES BEFORE I CHANGE MY BAIT

T

·
0 Posts
Stinkbait sucks. They don't stay on the hook. If the catfish is there, they are going to hit it no matter if you have a worm, crawdads or chicken liver.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Fishing 303, I have tried the berkeley stinkbaits and never even had a hit. I have been using the catfish charlie and magic bait lately with lots of bits.

tbmanivong, If you have trouble keeping stinkbaits on, try using a treble hook with one of those springs. I haven't been able to hook anything yet with one of these but the bait stays on. I just like to use circle hooks and do just fine even with stinkbaits.

Tonight I will try to fish the fairgrounds for a few hours. If you see me with a basset hound, that's me. Say hello.

T

·
0 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
Fishing 303, I have tried the berkeley stinkbaits and never even had a hit.  I have been using the catfish charlie and magic bait lately with lots of bits.

tbmanivong, If you have trouble keeping stinkbaits on, try using a treble hook with one of those springs.  I haven't been able to hook anything yet with one of these but the bait stays on.  I just like to use circle hooks and do just fine even with stinkbaits. 

Tonight I will try to fish the fairgrounds for a few hours.  If you see me with a basset hound, that's me.  Say hello.
I was using the berkley liver stink bait on the treble hook with the spring on it. Didn't work too well.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
After getting tired of rebaiting after small bites using that Magic Blood Bait I found in my trout vest a roll of trout egg sac netting. I simply wrapped the stink bait on this and then put it on the hook. It stayed on for 2 to 3 casts and several bites...

TH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Got Muskie,

I might go up there tonight. Where will you be fishing I stop over and take a look at the 10 lb catfish you will have already caught...well hopefully caught?

·
Registered
943 Posts
TROUTHUNTER I MIGHT HEAD UP TONIGHT. IF YOU SEE A RED F-150 THATS PROBABLY ME

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think I will only be up there from around 9:00p.m. to midnight at the latest if I go. Have to be at work at 7:00a.m. That means I will probably stick close to the south parking lot.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
afishman...gotmuskie...

I got caught up here at work and wont be able to go that far tonight. Live in Southwest Metro Area..Maybe tomorrow or Thursday... Catch one of those big cats I saw the other day...Good fishin to you both.

TH

·
Registered
636 Posts
Didn't make it up there tonight because class lasted until 9:30 but will definetily be up there tomorrow. Looking at heading up there around 8:00p.m.

·
Registered
164 Posts
going cat hunting with trout hunter tommrow adams county be there at six im the asian guy yeah its kinda hard to miss a asian guy with blonde hair! come say hi if you guys go.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts