Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Adams County Fairgrounds on Sunday from 6 pm till 11 pm. Tons of bites but not a single fish. I am sorry to whomever I told that it is easy to catch catfish.these cats are teh exception. These cats were taking all teh bait but not the hook. I figure the crawdads were messing with us a little but some of the bites were hard. I will have to go back with a little more highly trained catfisherman. I have never had a catfish not take teh bait or not get hooked. I am stumped. Also tons fo fish were splashing all evening. Couldnt get a good look at them but by the ripples in teh water and the noise some of them were huge. this place has lots of potential but it needs a daytime scouting to find teh perfect spot.

C

·
0 Posts
When they are finicky like that either try blood baits or offer them a smaller bait. It is sure to work!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Thanks Catman...I had the same problem out there a couple of weeks ago...it wasnt crayfish...they were taking off with the bait streaking (shrimp and stinkbait worms)...one even creamed the stinkbait worm when I reeled it in...created a wake and hit it hard but didnt get hooked...surprised me...I tried all sorts of different things...hitting them quickly...letting them have it...they had a PHd in not getting hooked and I bet we had 15 or 20 hits...never had that problem before...I drove through Barbor ponds looking yesterday...it is really turning green have never been there before...

Thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bet those big splashes you heard were from carp. They tend to frolic with each other on top of the water and sometimes right at the bank. If you just hear that going on you would think a cow fell in. I have even seen them flopping around on the bank before getting back in. Hope you have better luck getting a hook into Mr. Whiskers.

F

·
0 Posts
the fish jumping are carp no doubt that place is loaded with them ......Ive also been having the same problem lately with the catfish not taking the bait at other locations ....hahahaha first I thought it was the hooks I was using so I switched from circle hooks to trebles ...no bites ...then trebles to plain j hooks nothing and then figuring I would eat whatever I caught I went to kahle hooks .....catman makes alot of sence and thats what im gonna do next time is downsize my bait ....if you are new to catfishing you have to let them take the bait for a little bit as soon as they feel tension they drop the bait ...this could also be one of the things messing with you ......

C

·
0 Posts
When the big cats are turned off and you are getting hits from smaller cats i.e. 4-6 lbs I usually downsize to a size #1, #1.5, or #2 hook and downsize my baits. I fish them on slip rigs i.e. 1 or 2 ounce egg sinker, two beads, a 1/0 barrel swivel, leader consisting of 12 lb test, with two hooks tied on the leader. I then cast it out, reel in all the slack to make it really tight, and then pull three 2ft lengths of line off the reel. Very little tension and they will have time to swallow it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had tons of slack. I would watch teh line jump and then watch the line start to tihgten up. tried reeling in at this time and even tried opening the bail, but this was not a smart idea adn quickly abandoned it. i think i need to go back and try some other things. I will defintely try some smaller bait. This time I will remember to take the bell off before i cast! Second cast of the day and there went my bell. between catfish hunter, another guy, and me, we tried a number of different sized hooks. Would you recommend the pond furthest from the parking lot or the one by the parking lot. We were fishing next to teh bridge in teh pond closest to the parking lot.

C

·
0 Posts
Get where the people aren't. When fish a high pressure lake cats get used to the same old baits and become finicky. They will mouth the baits to death, and may never take them. It's like introducing a waterdog to them and they never have contact with them. Their curiosity will tell them to play with it to figure it out and see if it's food. To the other extreme if they see the same thing over and over they will become wary of it. This is when natural baits work best. Go to spots that people don't fish and your luck should improve.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Anyone ever tried squid at the Fairgrounds? I used it a few times back home by virtue of the restaurant I was for taking it off the menu (mmmm...5 lbs of frozen squid) and it works pretty well, tough enough to stay on the hook and it gives off alot of scent. AND its pretty cheap if you get it frozen. Just a thought if you need an inexpensive change of pace for some finicky felines.

F

·
0 Posts
hahahhahaa....I went to buy some chicken liver they other day to go out catfishin ...they were out but had some pails that looked the same it was pig brains....I tried them they wouldnt stay on the hook so it was shrimp that I was using and I did ok

C

·
0 Posts
Fishinguitars, if you ever run out of bait again and can't find any let me know. I have a chest freezer full of different baits i.e. carp, suckers, shad, bluegill, perch, chicken livers, turkey livers, stinkbait, ect. ect.

·
Registered
988 Posts
fishinguitars said:
sweet where do you get your shad .....
You can get shad early in the year when they spawn. I mainly get mines on the dam or by the beach. Basically any lake that produces shad will give you sucess. They're all over in the eastern lakes like bonny and jackson.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Use a minnow net. It's pretty easy when they spawn. Just stand by the shore and wait for them to come. Som timesyou can catch them on green Rooster Tails also. They're vegitarians so chances of catching them with Rappalas are pretty slim to none.

You can still get shad but they're babies at the moment and they won't run like spawning season. Kinda scattered if you know what I mean. Most likely you'll have to get them at night rite now. Use a latern on shore or boat, this will attract algae and in turns brings the baitfish = preadtor fish :eek:.

Good luck to you.

F

·
0 Posts
thanks..ill have to try that ....The biggest catfish i caught this year I caught on a piece of a rotting shad I found on the shore ...it smelled awful and had maggots all over it ....my buddy almost puked and right off the bat I knew what I was gonna do ...I cut the tail end off of it put it on a circle hook and bam ......

C

·
0 Posts
I catch them on flies during the spring spwaning run. You look for suface action like you would for wiper.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
me and a friend fished the fairgrounds from 7-11pm we caught alot of bass and i caught 4 channel catfish about 17-18 inches and my friend had one about 10 pounds snap his line at shore lots of hits

1 - 20 of 34 Posts