Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am trying to up my fly fishing game for next season. I fished for four hours yesterday and caught 2 bass, 3 bluegill and a crappie. It was a fun day, and at the end my arms were pretty sore from all the casting. To me that indicates that I need some improvement on my form so I cast with less effort. Any advice on some good articles/tips/you tube vids on better casting form?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like you had a productive day on the water!

Fatigue can not just be caused by bad form. "Generally" longer rods and heavier wt rods have more swing weight. So when you say "sore" it can be the same as after hitting the gym. I'm not sore from bad form in the gym but because I have broke down muscles through repetition of isolated use; same as when you cast a rod for hours. So I can feel stiff after throwing my 8wt all day but not so with a 5wt.

So what rod length and weight are you using?

Video yourself. You need to do this twice. Once knowing you are being videoed (can do this yourself in yard) and one where you don't know (on water). Those bad habits will shine like the sun in the video where you are not concentrated on casting. That's the beauty of having recording equipment at your finger tips these days. Video will allow you to analyze your cast. You can then post a link to your video here or onto bigger fly fishing only sites (NAFFF) and get free feedback from Master Casting Instructors (MCI).

Check out video/books by:
Jason Borger
Left Kreh
Joan Wolff
Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast 3 part video on YouTube
Orvis

The list goes on and on. Some are better than others. Finding one that speaks to you is the challenge.

If your finances allow, again research, find a MCI near you. You will jump light years in ability and learn that a "wind knot" is actually a bad form knot. LOL

·
Registered
356 Posts
I could probably also use some work on my cast so appreciate the feedback on this thread as well.
I definitely like the advice SlabSeeker gave in regards to video taping yourself.

Interestingly, today I find longer rods (say a 10' vs 9') are easier and less work for me to cast. When using shorter rods it seems like I really need to dig more into the backbone of the rod (even double-haul) to power the cast, especially with wind (always). Maybe that's a reflection of my bad form.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting b.reels. The swing weight of any rod series will be heavier as the rod lengthens, this is a matter of physics. When discussing loading we then have to discuss action as well. There are few generalizations than can be made these days so we almost have to compare rod to rod. So b. when you say a 10' is easier to cast I must inquire as to what kind of casting and what is being casted.

A 10' rod will roll cast much easier than a short rod. It will also cast those heavy indicator rigs more easily and improve mending with such rigs. What it will not do is short fish (<40') as well; accuracy and response are greatly diminished. The extra length also makes for a pain in tight conditions. I personally opt for accuracy over distance every time.

Longer rods in the wind is a school of debate. I do fine with a 5wt but my 4 really creates problems.lol

For me, there is just something about the 8'6" rod that hits the sweet spot. Light, fast, and accurate but there are times when I wished I had that little extra reach when nymphing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you had a productive day on the water!

Fatigue can not just be caused by bad form. "Generally" longer rods and heavier wt rods have more swing weight. So when you say "sore" it can be the same as after hitting the gym. I'm not sore from bad form in the gym but because I have broke down muscles through repetition of isolated use; same as when you cast a rod for hours. So I can feel stiff after throwing my 8wt all day but not so with a 5wt.

So what rod length and weight are you using?

Video yourself. You need to do this twice. Once knowing you are being videoed (can do this yourself in yard) and one where you don't know (on water). Those bad habits will shine like the sun in the video where you are not concentrated on casting. That's the beauty of having recording equipment at your finger tips these days. Video will allow you to analyze your cast. You can then post a link to your video here or onto bigger fly fishing only sites (NAFFF) and get free feedback from Master Casting Instructors (MCI).

Check out video/books by:
Jason Borger
Left Kreh
Joan Wolff
Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast 3 part video on YouTube
Orvis

The list goes on and on. Some are better than others. Finding one that speaks to you is the challenge.

If your finances allow, again research, find a MCI near you. You will jump light years in ability and learn that a "wind knot" is actually a bad form knot. LOL

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of video taping myself alot. I am typically using a 9 foot 6 weight. If I am fishing in small creeks, or beaver ponds I usually bring my 8 foot 4 weight. I have really only noticed the fatigue with the 6 weight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
SlabSeeker yeah my comment was clear as mud :)

I was talking specifically about distance casting, almost always with wind and typically with a 2-3 offering rig (assume some weight there). I've been trying to replace my 5wt 10' med-fast action with a 5wt 9' with veryfast-fast action for stillwater. So far I've noticed the need to use a lot more power with the 9' to get my offerings out as far as I could with the 10'. I probably just need some more time with the new 5wt to dial-in my cast.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anglers All fly shop has a casting instructor. He will take a look at what you’re doing in back of the shop for free. If you want a lesson it’s like $40 bucks. Seems worth the investment.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying to up my fly fishing game for next season. I fished for four hours yesterday and caught 2 bass, 3 bluegill and a crappie. It was a fun day, and at the end my arms were pretty sore from all the casting. To me that indicates that I need some improvement on my form so I cast with less effort. Any advice on some good articles/tips/you tube vids on better casting form?
you should go to an asian massage parlor

·
Registered
386 Posts
We have some well known Asian Massage Parlors here in Jupiter Florida, if you want, I can have Bob Kraft give you a first hand report of his experiences .
His attorney probably would frown on this.
Bill

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great advice SlabSeeker!

I've been doing it for 5 years and am still learning, Dry fly fishing is definitely a bit more challenging landing that fly just right and with distance. I'm working on it a lot. Now nymph fishing i find to be easier as long as you can keep that drift looking as realistic as possible. I keep the flyline above the water as much as i can and only let my 9ft leader most flow in the water with less then a foot of the actual color fly line, I may be not doing it as proper as some veteran fly fisherman but it has worked for me.

Has anyone else noticed your chances of getting more bites are even greater going without an indicator or is it just luck?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Has anyone else noticed your chances of getting more bites are even greater going without an indicator or is it just luck?
Indicator fishing versus none, that's an old argument.

Here's the best answer, "It depends". Both have advantages and disadvantages. Understanding the advantages/disadvantages and how they play into the fishing conditions, at hand, will decide. I've gone from indicator to none to tight line and back again in one hole. The most successful anglers are the versatile anglers.

Slab

1 - 12 of 12 Posts