Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks I need some help. Going up to Stagecoach with the family on the 27-28th. No boat. I know there are very nice trout in there. I have also experienced some of the pike action there in the past. I would love to find a good hole of them! I have also heard that there are kokes in that lake but I have never seen them. Where should I fish and with what? It has been a long time since I have been there. I may have a dose of impatience standing beside me as well. It would be nice to get the girls busy reeling in trout and I would love to hook my wife up with a 3' pike. She may even catch onto fishing if she can have some fun.

Y

·
0 Posts
I have not been for a month and we fish from a boat but we were getting good action all day on blue/black/purple spinner baits w/ a plastic craw trailer. Ice In The Veins reported on another site that buzzbaits were killing them last week. I don't know much about the trout fishing there because we target the pike, but we saw lots of people catching trout on the north side of the inlet bait fishing and some guys catching them w/ flys in float tubes. Stagecoach is so full of small pike right now that you could probably get more action fishing for pike than trout.

F

·
0 Posts
for trout down below the reservoir on the yampa is awesome ...its all catch and release though, Ive done good down there with rapala's ......for those little pike if you get bored toss out a zara spook ...the fish may be small but its still awesome to get any fish on top water

C

·
0 Posts
Get some minnows about 4-6 inches and put them on a #2 hook below a slip float. The pike will go crazy and it's interactive for your kids. If they are old enough to bait hooks they can bait the minnows. And if not you can show them how to do it. You will probably catch lots of small pike, but for kids it isn't size, it is quantity. Keep 'em busy and they will fish for a life time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Aren't minnows illegal at Stagecoach? I'm sure the pike would go crazy over those. Now the pike that I have caught there in the past were very good size. Have they become over populated? Are we looking at another Spinny situation? Should I plan on eating some under 20" pike to help control that population?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did anyone get up there this weekend? I will be up there on Tuesday and Wednesday. Any last bit of advice from anyone? I sure would like to know about that pike population before I start keeping or releasing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'll be up there this Friday. If you fly fish, a rust colored wolly bugger works well for the big bows and pike will hit them too. Halfbacks are good and you can also put it on a bubble too.
The guy I'm going with caught a 44 inch pike there last year on a black buzz bait. The inlet area has worked well
for us in the past. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hammer,

I was up at Stagecoach Thursday Setp. 22. The fishing is going to be day to day up there right now. The lake is definitely turning over so conditions are a little bit unpredictable. A lot of Algae in the water. I'm sure you can still catch fish. Trout fishing from shore will be best on the North side of the lake up by the inlet. There is a parking lot right there and you can walk the bank for quite a while. There will be some Pike in the area as well. Any shallow bay or weedy area (What's left) will hold pike. As mentioned above a lot of smaller Pike are shallow. Finding the big girls can be more difficult, but I would assume they are there, but possible thrown off by the day to day changing conditions. Turnover time for Pike is not a good one. Give it a shot and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Right when you get there go to the marina and RENT A BOAT! They are cheap and you can get them for the day. Hell you can even put the family on a "tooner" if they want to come with. Either way when you are slapping your plastic down ask the guy to show you the submeged river bed on the map. Everything cruises that river bed and it is clearly marked on the park map. Then in the afternoon bounce along the southeast bank and throw the biggest and loudest top water lure you have in you box and hold on. The Pike will find you. Good luck.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Stagecoach is a special fishery. It supports some of the finest pike fishing in Colorado and a good fishery for big trout.
The pike in stagecoach eat primarly crawfish, so there really isn't much of a chance it would become like spinney, with too many skinny pike.
It does have a lot of small pike in the shallow weedy bays, but thats just the sign of a good pike fishery. Keep a few small ones and release the bigguns.
There are tons of crawfish, and some huge ones. The pike eat so many of them their meat is orange red.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts