Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new 4 or 5 weight rod. I'm considering the Winston Nexus or the Scott Flex. Anyone have experience with these rods? Recommend one of them or another rod?

Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Ralph... the best advice I can give is don't listen to anyone's advice. Rods seem to fit people's stroke. I like a slower rod, some of my best buddies, who are every bit as good or better fishermen than I am, like super fast.... others like super slow.

My point is, fish those high dollar rods for a couple hours before you buy. Find a shop that will let you do more than cast in the parking lot... get those rods on the water and see how you like the way they fish... one will stand out and be the easy decision. Opinions of others will always be based on what they own and will not be objective or take into consideration how you cast.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just a thought, I own a Scott a Sage and a RL Winston, all fine rods and all quite expensive. The last three rods I've bought all come from TFO, they carry a better warranty and the price is $99 to $129 each on sale. I'm not an expert fly guy but these TFO rods are, in my opinion, 90% as good as the high end stuff.
Whichever you settle on, please remember to buy a rod float for it if your going to be on the lakes or reservoirs especially if you fish two rods.
Bill
http://tforods.com/

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Just a thought, I own a Scott a Sage and a RL Winston, all fine rods and all quite expensive. The last three rods I've bought all come from TFO, they carry a better warranty and the price is $99 to $129 each on sale. I'm not an expert fly guy but these TFO rods are, in my opinion, 90% as good as the high end stuff.
Whichever you settle on, please remember to buy a rod float for it if your going to be on the lakes or reservoirs especially if you fish two rods.
Bill
http://tforods.com/
I totally agree with this... 100%. Fly fishing gear has gotten so obnoxious. The elitests insist on this or that, yet 3/4 of them can barely cast. My dad fly fishes with a set up that cost about $80. He does well.

I remember being at a fly shop that I frequent. One of the regulars there is rather irritating....One of the last times I saw him, he said something about a guy who was starting along these lines, "Oh, he won't stay with it, he can't afford it". I left thinking, what a joke. It doesn't take a lot of cash to get a cheapo reel and a decent 5wt. That will cover most every trout in CO. I could also get away with about 5-6 patterns total in 2-3 colors... At $.99 a fly from some of the online retailers, It seems very easy to afford.

TFO rods are very nice... I think the 90% statement made earlier is very accurate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are a few threads in this section that go over this topic as I did the same thing as you when I was looking for a new rod.

Cast a bunch of rods and find what you like. What do you like? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? Same difference, really.

I ended up starting with a 70 dollar rod until I got confidence in fishing it and found a good deal on a high end rod that I plan to have forever. I also bought a $60 cabelas 5/6 fiberglass and fish that just as much as my high end and have a blast with it. Read reviews, ask opinions but, ultimately, make your decision on what you like. High end or low end, they all will deliver a fly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ralph... the best advice I can give is don't listen to anyone's advice. Rods seem to fit people's stroke. I like a slower rod, some of my best buddies, who are every bit as good or better fishermen than I am, like super fast.... others like super slow.

My point is, fish those high dollar rods for a couple hours before you buy. Find a shop that will let you do more than cast in the parking lot... get those rods on the water and see how you like the way they fish... one will stand out and be the easy decision. Opinions of others will always be based on what they own and will not be objective or take into consideration how you cast.
+1

One note...tempo doesn't change form. A $1200 rod will not make you cast any better but a $30 rod will make you quit fly fishing. lol

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The Flex is a fantastic rod. I used one on a recent trip and loved it. I would buy one to replace one of my other rods if I fly fished as much as I used to.

·
Registered
592 Posts
A $1200 rod will not make you cast any better but a $30 rod will make you quit fly fishing. lol
This, absolutely.

The Flex is a great rod, I've played around with one. But, go to a shop and CAST some rods. Also consider what your primary fishing method will be with the rod-nymphing, dries, streamers, general purpose, etc., because that may have some bearing on your final choice as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts