Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My folks left me a boat that I'm not sure what to do with.  It is an early seventies tri hull starcraft. Its got a 50 hp evinrude.  The last time I used the boat was at glendoe three years ago.  The motor needs tuned(no power) and the boat needs a good cleaning.  The reason I'm posting here, is because I don't know whether its worth fixing up, or just selling.  My folks paid $2500 for it four years ago.  Should I sell it? Should I fix it up? If I sell it, how much? what do you guys think? ???

·
Registered
460 Posts
does teh boat need to have any wood replaced? any upholstery? if the wood in the interior is soft adn there is lots of it, then i'd say try to sell it. if the wood is still good, keep it. the upholstery is a whole different story. the price of that depends on how much you want to change, adn how fancy you get.the motor isnt hard to get a little more power out of. try changing the prop for starters. maybe get it rejetted. i dont know the condition of the boat, but i'd say $1000-$1500 woudl be pretty good.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
If its the only boat you have access to I say to fix it up. Why not?

I guess the first thing id do is find out how much to get the motor up and running and go from there. If its not to much than fix her up!!!

IMO

-Jay

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nothing wrong with an older boat as long as its the right size for your needs and doesn't leak like a sieve. I have a 20+ year old boat that I run. I had to replace some of the plywood in the deck and the carpet is getting a little ratty but it floats.

The bigger problem is the motor. Depending on what it needs is your answer there. I spent $350 on my '76 2 Evenrude this spring. But the other option was buying a new one for $2000 or a used one for $800-1000. It just depends on what your budget will allow.

Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haven't attempted to start the motor, last time I was in it, I think it may have had bad gas, but I have never been able to get it up on step, I really like the boat, its perfect for anything in colorado, I just have to be realistic on whether or not I have the time to get it back in shape, if I hold onto to it, realisticly there is a good chance it will sit another year, and be even more sickly next year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just thought I would pass on a little advice that my grandfather told me once Its not the boat that catches the fish its the fisherman that catches the fish! another thing to keep in mind is that there are two days in a mans life that are the happiest the day he buys a boat and the day he sells the boat. if it was mine i would keep her and fix it nothing like fixing something that you did yourself. good luck with your decision. :)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Burn-n-daylight said:
Just thought I would pass on a little advice that my grandfather told me once Its not the boat that catches the fish its the fisherman that catches the fish! another thing to keep in mind is that there are two days in a mans life that are the happiest the day he buys a boat and the day he sells the boat. if it was mine i would keep her and fix it nothing like fixing something that you did yourself. good luck with your decision. :)

I have not experienced the selling part, but everything else you said I agree with totally.  So very true!

Dan

·
Registered
460 Posts
Its not the boat that catches the fish its the fisherman that catches the fish!
i like that. need to put a sign with that written on it in my boat! i'd say spend the time and fix up the boat. you'll enjoy the boat more adn you can set it up the way you like it. as your working on it ask around in the little shops and other places for someone to repair the engine. maybe even try to trade off some work to lower teh price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i am in the process of fixing mine up, it is hard work, but oh so rewarding. mine is going from the 'glass on up, finished priming yesterday, carpet tonight, seats and a cold one.....

if you decide you need help or to keep it, give a holler i can help and help you find stuff fairly cheap, i spent weeks looking, but it will be exactly the way i want it.

yours can be too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts