Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Advice on where to stay and fish around Golden???

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Luke the Dog 
#1 ·
I "volunteered" for a business trip to Golden next week. I figured I'd go a few days early (getting there on 6/20) and get a few days of fly fishing before my business begins.

Any advice on where to stay and fish? I need to be back in Golden by mid-day on Monday, but I'm open to places within an hour or two. Interested in trout, any size (I throw them all back). Somewhere not crowded would be ideal.

Never been fishing in Colorado before. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Two hours is limiting. I would suggest the Blue River toward Green Mtn Res. Can also hit Waterton Canyon on the S. Platte. Clear Ck, Boulder Ck, Thompson and Poudre River (last two are > 2hrs drive). Poudre is vastly public, good fishing, and fewer people as you head up the canyon. Thompson has sporadic public and good fishing. I've never wasted my time on Clear or Boulder Ck. Maybe somebody can chime in on them AND conditions of all named rivers after the flood; Poudre and Blue were not affected. Crowds? Your definition? Lol. You are within two hours of 3,000,000 people. Count on sharing but you might find yourself alone. Never know! if you want more detail on some of these rivers pm me.

#3 ·
What kind of fishing are you looking for? Right in Golden you have Clear Creek, and Bear Creek, which are kind of small, and mix of wild and stockers. Same thing with Boulder, a little bit farther. Bigger fish and farther are Big Thompson, then Blue, and the Platte system.

#4 ·
Call a fly shop, but you'll probably end up fishing a lake with the way the rivers are running...

#7 ·
Yes, runoff will nix the creeks. It's also a tricky time of year because the high lakes are only thawed to a certain elevation.

Get an early start and go to South Park and fish Spinney Reservoir. Talk to any fly shop about what flies to use and they will dial you in.

#8 ·
You could also call the Clear Creek Rangers District and find out if Echo Lake is thawed on Mt. Evans, it gets decent exposure to sun IIRC, or maybe someone here knows that answer. Bonus of getting to drive to the Mt. Evans peak afterwards. It's worth the fee. Little bit closer to town.

#10 ·
No waders necessary. There is also Idaho Springs Reservoir. Again, I would call and ask about if it's free of ice and what the trail/snow conditions are. That is roughly a 5.5 mile round trip hike from Echo Lake. I think there might be a shorter way to hike in.

#12 ·
I'd stay far away from the rivers. Most are extremely high right now and the fishing is not too good because of it. There have been a large number of people that have drowned the last couple weeks all over the state. One dude was fishing Boulder Creek. Just not worth it. Have fun and be careful.

#15 ·
Spinney was really good today, all sight fishing in skinny water, but I bet it will be a circus for the weekend...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.