Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I'm in the market for a rod and reel that I can mainly throw streamers with. I would probably use it to throw your typical trout stuff, but I would also throw some poppers, clousers, deceivers, etc for bass and other warm water species in some of my local ponds.

That being said, I think a 6wt is what I'm looking for. Feel free to convince me otherwise if you feel differently.

I'm looking to keep the total price for the rod and reel in the neighborhood of $400ish, give or take some. I've looked into some of the more economical rods and reels out there, like the Hydros SL reel, and some TFO Rods, but I wanted to get some more opinions before I bought anything.

Let me know what you guys like.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If not in a hurry go to local shops and play with their rods. Handle as many as you can to get a feel for what you want before buying.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm going to piggy back on this thread and say I have been looking for much of the same set up but have been contemplating a 7wt in either a 9'6" or a 10' streamer/heavy nymph/carp/bass rod.

My thought on the longer length being that it might helpful in lake situation or casting out of a belly boat.

I used a TFO when I was down in Cozumel last winter and went bonefishing. I think the price points are great but it didn't really impress me. Granted- I have seen noticeable improvement in my casting over the last year, so it could have merely been operator error.

Been looking at Scott's either the A/S series and been cruising CL to see if their is anything that comes up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
TFO for sure, and I'd bump that up to an 8 weight without hesitation.
I second an 8 weight for warm water species. I use my 8 weight that I originally bought for steelhead now for bass and pike. The lowest weight I would go would be a 7 weight. There are plenty of good rods available in 7 and 8 weights if you shop around. Do however try them out before settling on one. Some are no better than using a broom stick - get one that suits your casting style.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
TFO is hard to beat for the money and they are good on their warranty. A six weight will throw most trout streamers, poppers etc. I used to have one I loved that is somewhere between Salida and P-LO... But so will a 5 wt. I love my 8 wt TFO for throwing large streamers for Pike and other big predatory fish and high winds.

But on small ponds for bass etc I do most of my business with my 5 wt. This spring I have been throwing small streamers for bass, sunfish, perch with my 3 wt and have had a blast.

This summer I plan on getting a new reel and line for one of my dads old fiberglass 6-7wt rods as a dedicated carp rod.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definitely make sure and cast them before buying.

Interesting opinions regarding the 8wt suggestion. It would be nice for the warm water species, but I would prefer something that I can fish for trout with still as well. An 8 is a little heavy for my liking in that regard.

I might bump it up to a 7 though. Ill mostly be focusing on bass in some local ponds, trout in some rivers and lakes, and maybe some carp.

Good stuff fellas, keep it coming.

·
Registered
541 Posts
TFO TiCR X, 9' 7wt is what I use on my raft for streamer fishing for trout, and I've got a Lamson Guru for the reel on that. I'm sure it would make a great bass pond rod as well. Super stiff, but you need that to chuck some of the bigger articulated streamers and get a decent hook set. I think if you're bank or river fishing you could get away with the 6 wt, I just like the 7 to haul fish in quick from the boat. Avoid softer rods because you'll just miss a lot of fish on the set.

Don't need a fancy reel, if you get one to match the rod for about $100-150 that should be a great setup for you. Worry more about what kind of line you want to use and also if you need extra spools for the reel to change them out - there are different grade sinking lines, sink tip, and floating lines all for trout fishing. I like a moderate sink line off the boat.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Sage RPL is a no brainer IMO. They can be had for $250 or so used on ebay.. 6 or 7 would be plenty.

Heavier (weight of rod, not rod rating) rods are very nice for throwing streamers. The extra weight seems to lessen the stress on your body and makes casting truly big streamers easier. The RPL is such a tough, smooth casting rod.

I like TFO rods for sure, if new is what you are looking for, but as far as head to head, the castability of the RPL will outshine the lighter TFO I believe.

·
Registered
592 Posts
TFO BVK 6wt, it's more like a 7wt
Echo Boost 6wt, also more like a 7wt

Then go put a good reel on it, with room to spare in your budget for a line...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would go with Lukes suggestion and overline with 8wt. for big stuff and wind--

6wt.line for standard wets/drys.. One rod 2 lines...

·
Registered
282 Posts
8wt fast action, (9' my preference)...All around warm water rod that has the back to pull bass from underwater forests, take the weight of a carp, and counter the force of wipers and stripers. If you travel, you'll have a steelhead/bonefish/permit rod as well. Get a good rod and buy a line holder reel for the time being and upgrade down the road, if you ever think you need it. It's just a line holder when fishing heavy tippets in this state....bit different if you travel. Rod brand is all you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm also looking at getting a new streamer setup.

I've been eyeing the "Echo ION" 7wt 10' IONXL7100: http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/pdp.php?product=3&page_id=72

Very affordable rod and has a lot of good reviews.

I was thinking about pairing it with this Cheeky 7-10wt reel: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ch...terString=fishing-reels~d~188/&colorFamily=01 and then running 8wt sinking tip line.

Planning to use this setup for lake fishing and larger rivers when fishing big ugly/heavy **** as my 5wt sage doesn't quite reach where I need it to in certain conditions.

I'm all about high quality gear, but my wife would kill me if I dropped another grand for a new setup; so I'm looking for a budget setup.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A few years ago I went down this road and purchased a Redington Pursuit. I should have gone with the Predator however I am happy about my 7wt purchase. It's big enough for local carp and just enough under gunned if I wanted to fish for smaller bones. NOT big enough if you want to throw big flies for pike. I matched it with a Lamson Guru.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just purchased a TFO 6wt for streamers, Bass Pro has them locally. They are nice. I put a Ross Animas reel on it. And installed a Airflo Streamer Max line. Cabela's has the Tang reels which are nice and not too much money.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A few years ago I went down this road and purchased a Redington Pursuit. I should have gone with the Predator however I am happy about my 7wt purchase. It's big enough for local carp and just enough under gunned if I wanted to fish for smaller bones. NOT big enough if you want to throw big flies for pike. I matched it with a Lamson Guru.

So an 8wt is the minimum you would use for pike? Would big (Canadian) pike make an 8wt feel undergunned?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So an 8wt is the minimum you would use for pike? Would big (Canadian) pike make an 8wt feel undergunned?
Put it this way, I've got a buddy who's chasing the biggest fish in CO with a Redington Predator 10wt. I think a broom stick 8 wt would get you by. Rent a 10wt from a local shop if you think you need it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd like to test drive a predator, heard good things and they seem to be at a good price point. Not looking to break the bank on a 8 or 9 wt that probably won't see much action most of the year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a brand new Sage Response 7wt 9' with an Okuma Helios 7/8 large arbor spooled with 30# Rio backing & Rio Camoflux WF7I that I am selling. Asking for $425. Moving to CA at the end of this month and I could use the moving funds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts