Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One job i would not take, freakin crazy !!!!

How long did it take you to start feeling queezy while watching this ? Did you make it all 5 mins ?

http://www.liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

Watch thru the breif cartoon beginning, it is normal after that

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
My buddy used to own a tower painting company... Made great scratch and had some crazy stories. I would not mind it. I love heights. I climb huge roofs in my job and love getting up there, always have.

Imagine climbing to the top of one of those with two five gallon buckets of paint... And i bet going up is a lot more fun than going down.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Funny, my dad sent that to me yesterday. He is a hardcore parachutist and basejumper. He'd love to have a crack at that thing.

Me, no way.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I had to stop midway through to clean my pants! Holy crap NO WAY!!! I work for Qwest as a line tech. We climb poles every day. I don't like that much anymore! :D Needless to say I would have to quit my job if I had to climb that crap!

Jim

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hobiecat said:
1800 vertical feet...A guy would have to be in great shape.
No kidding. That would prolly be too much for me. I had to climb a 4 story building one time on a fire access ladder... It sucked.

Personally, I am not an adrenaline junkie at all, but I would love to climb to the top of that tower and look around. Given the ropes are used, I don't think it is that dangerous.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Uh Uh! Not me -no way! Wouldn't even CONSIDER it!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1700ft up, climbing on a vertical 4"pipe using only 3/4" bolts for a ladder with no safety line.... Coconut Cajones !!!!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
yep saw that about 6 months ago on BREAK. One of the scariest videos I have ever seen. I had to look away on some parts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
the elevator ride goes to 1600 feet. they are not climbing quite as much as you think. 168 feet vertical. i'm not saying i could do it. and by the way, it appears to me that ropes really aren't used, except occasionally for them to take breaks. i don't understand how OSHA allows that. the stuff they make you do on a flat jobsite is ridiculous. and this is only flat in the straight up sense.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Silent_Light said:
One job i would not take, freakin crazy !!!!

How long did it take you to start feeling queezy while watching this ? Did you make it all 5 mins ?

http://www.liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

Watch thru the breif cartoon beginning, it is normal after that
I actually had a friend that traveled the country and did this for a living. he made ok money doing it, (about 800 a week) and his company paid for travel and expenses stemming from that. the guy would change lighting beacons out and write down serial numbers and check to see if the towers were functioning properly. the pictures he took while on the towers were nothing short of amazing when he showed me... the job was extremely dangerous since he had to climb towers in the winter and during bad weather, and he showed me pictures of him dropping a beacon from the top. not a career I'd want.

·
Registered
297 Posts
WaterVsAnchor said:
Only $800 a week!? Man, you'd have to pay me more than that to climb the thing ONCE!
he told me a whole day's work is climbing one tower and checking components and beacons. he said aside from the heights issue, it's not that hard of a job at all.

and keep in mind this was 10 years ago when he worked this job, I'm sure it probably pays more given inflation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts