Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many frustrating on-again / off-again years of attempting to teach myself to fly fish with my granddad's hand-me-down fiberglass Wonderod (and his old level line), I finally picked up some newer gear and got some good instruction last summer. I can't believe all those years of fishing lures and missing out on fly fishing!

Anyhoo, I live in Lakewood, near C-470/Morrison Road, and would like some input on good after-work spots in my area. I've gone up Bear Creek canyon a few times, usually to Lair O' the Bear open space. But it's usually full to the brim with people. I've gone up Clear Creek canyon a couple of times and fished by Tunnel 1, but had no luck there. I like Waterton Canyon.

Any suggestions on where else to go? I just want a little more variety in something close to home. I don't want your secret spot (well, actually I do), just some ideas as to where to go after a day of staring out the window of my office. BTW, this isn't just for the summer, I'm open to some fun winter fly-fishing, too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you're looking for close to home spots there is always Waterton Canyon that's just down from you.  Also you can think about the Blue, but be warned there are usually a lot of people on weekends and during the summer.  Plus the Blue can be extemely challenging at times.

The best way to find secret spots is to break a map and do some exploring on your own.  Some are busts, but some turn out to be worth it.  Just my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Blue, but it is definitely too far for me for an after-work trip. I'm limited to around 2 hours total time during the work-week, not 2+ just for the roundtrip drive.

I'm having fun finding spots on my own. Even if they turn out not-so-good, fishing-wise, they are usually more than worthwhile just for the hike, scenery, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Those are pretty much the only close in spots that I can think of. If you are open to lake fishing of course, there are lots of areas in the metro area you could try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do need to look into the lakes a little more. I drive by several all the time, but other than Bear Creek res., I never think to try them out when I'm looking for a quick trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have the time, as others have written, Deckers, 11-Mile and Waterton Canyons are great places to go to within an hour or two drive of Denver. However, if you want to try some place after work, go to Bear Creek in Morrison. You live in a great place to fish there. I went there over the lunch hour today and caught 3 and missed 3 or 4, all in about 20 minutes. Its a lot of pot hole fishing, so move around looking for nice runs about 1-2 ft deep. You won't find very many very big ones in Bear Creek, but it is fishing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right in town, huh? I'll have to give that a try - that would only be a couple of minutes away...maybe I'll see about leaving the office early today! I've walked the path a few times with my kids, from roughly the Morrison Inn down to C-470. Thanks!

W

·
0 Posts
About five miles above Idaho Springs, take Lawson exit and cross clear creek. You can park by the rafting place and fish up from there. Lots of small rainbows and browns, can catch 50 some days in the summer, but I haven't been up there this winter, so don't know what the ice is like.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Husker,

Every time I've gone to Bear Creek in Morrison, I can't find the trout you speak of. Must be my skunk gene at work. I'll keep on trying though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Call the Division of Wildlife. They have some publications on waters that are practically right next door. They have a few maps that highlight ponds and the type of fish that are in the ponds, (which are a lot of fun to fish when you have an hour or so to kill).

There is also a pamphlet or book called Fishing on the Front Range. Lots of info on ponds and streams.

I would stay away from the Wateron, Cheesmon, Dream stream. You will find everybody and their uncle who just read an Orvis catelog up there.

I think the small ponds are fun to fish and very relaxing, and not many people.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Silicone boy:

Its that Go Big Red thing that helps. Try in town, across from the Morrison Inn. Go above the tributary that flows into the creek from the north, up to the bridge. The holes are deeper up there than below the tributary. That has been a good stretch for me. I have caught maybe 1-5 fish per hole through the town. The trout seem to like small (<size 18) red copper johns, wd40s, any small red thing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Silicone Boy:

Like you, I've always thought the stretch below the tributary looked good, but I've only caught fish near the diversions. I've never caught anything between the diversions and the tributary. My guess is that it is too shallow there, no security for them. There are deeper holes above the tributary, where the trout like to hide out. Watch out for the trees!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Another husker fan here!

This is going to sound weird...but the inlet at Chatfield holds some nice fish. Park at the South end of the lake (by the pond), then walk the river South. I have taken an 18 incher...and seen many others taken as well. Problem...need a yearly state parks pass to make it worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scubapig:

Go Big Red!

Which road do you exit off to park to fish the inlet to Chatfield? Sounds like it could be a good place for some larger fish than in Bear Creek.

Went to Bear Creek over lunch again and caught 4 and missed a few. Got a nice 12 inch rainbow - the rest were 10 inches or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BigRedFan said:
  Also you can think about the Blue, but be warned there are usually a lot of people on weekends and during the summer.  Plus the Blue can be extemely challenging at times.
Where is the Blue?

·
Registered
344 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts