Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey colorado family, at what age would you buy your little peanut a float tube? I have a boat but I seem to use my Float tube more. My peanuts 11 and 5' tall, I don't wanna take any chances with her.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Make sure she has a GOOD life jacket on, and maybe keep in shallow water for awhile until she gets used to moving with the flippers. The Chatfield ponds are a good place to teach her. I had my son on a tube at age 10. Stayed close to him, but it was all good. He caught lakers at Jefferson at age 11 floating.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would suggest the old style round tube. I had my 10 yr old granddaughter in a float tube with the v back. As we headed off the lake because of wind, she got hit with a micro burst that picked up the rear and flipped her upside down. She was stuck in that position because of the stripping apron. Fortunately her cousin was close by on a round tube to keep her head above water till I could pull her up on my pontoon boat. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
find a one man pontoon boat for her. She can kick and row as well. I take my almost 11 yr pld down the Gunnison river with and he does fine. I think they are way more safe!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would suggest the old style round tube. I had my 10 yr old granddaughter in a float tube with the v back. As we headed off the lake because of wind, she got hit with a micro burst that picked up the rear and flipped her upside down. She was stuck in that position because of the stripping apron. Fortunately her cousin was close by on a round tube to keep her head above water till I could pull her up on my pontoon boat. Lesson learned.
Scary!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's my fear, and why i'm asking. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had my son in a round style float tube at 6 years old, I tied a 15ft rope around the tube and drug him around with me! A good fitting life jacket is a must!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts