Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever caught a fish on a bait bigger than the fish caught, or something close? I got this little bugger on a minnow about half its size:

Anyone else?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I caught a 4 inch rainbow on a 3 inch jointed Rapala this summer.

But a friend of mine beat me. He was fly fishing with a muddler minnow and he let the fly drop into the water behind him while he did some kind of fiddling with his gear. Then he cast forward to resume fishing. He thought the cast felt kind of funny so he pulled in the fly to look at it, and it had a largemouth bass on it the same size as the muddler. When he let the fly fall into the water behind him, that little bass must have grabbed it.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Would you look at the big grin, yep,

What we are looking at is one happy camper.

Way to go Jay.

I'm not sure a bigger boat is going to help your condition much.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i caught this bad boy at standley a few months ago my very first walleye caught it on a worm that was bigger then him.. he actually hit it pretty hard (made my pole bounce anyway) then when I brang it in this is what was there he didnt give much of a fight .....lol I think maybe a bigger fish hit it first then somehow well I dont know......now lets see if I can figure out how to post the pic....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pitbull - that's a yellow perch. Related to walleye, and also tasty - just doesn't get that big.

I've caught 3-4" bass on 2.5" woolly buggers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
really? I thought that it was a little wally.......well crap guess I havent caught a walleye yet then... I actually did catch a perch that day that was 8 inches about or so 20 mins after that but it didnt look any thing like that one..more of the bluegill shaped body but definitely wasnt a bluegill

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah, I am pretty sure it's a perch.  Walleye sometimes have vertical barring like that, but usually not nearly so distinct and regular.

Anyway, may your first walleye be a lunker!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Common name for walleye in some parts is "Walleyed Pike," which really tends to be people confused about the family tree.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Then again, you may have regained your walleye virginity, and that could be priceless. I read in the Wall Street Journal last week about how some women pay a lot to have their virginity restored.

BTW, I thought it was a cute little walleye from the photo, only with tiger stripes like a perch. Maybe it's a product of incest ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
silicone boy said:
Then again, you may have regained your walleye virginity, and that could be priceless. I read in the Wall Street Journal last week about how some women pay a lot to have their virginity restored.
Reminds me of that old song, "I could have saved it, but oh how I craved it..." Who wrote that, Oscar Brand I think...

On the other hand, I can think of no desirable social value that is attached to the condition of never having caught a walleye. :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea that picture I posted looks exactly like some of the perch that pop up when you do a yahoo search on the images area of it.......alot of them that small also.. how big do those get on average???

·
Registered
935 Posts
Depends on the local ecology. Some lakes produce perch up to around 15" regularly (not many), while some scarcely produce fish larger than 9".

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Depends on the local ecology. Some lakes produce perch up to around 15" regularly (not many), while some scarcely produce fish larger than 9".
I am waiting to hear the names of a few of those super jumbo perch lakes, especially ones in Colorado...

:)

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dan said:
Cutthroat said:
I am waiting to hear the names of a few of those super jumbo perch lakes, especially ones in Colorado...

:)

Dan
I'd say give Blue Mesa 1 maybe 2 more years

1 - 20 of 24 Posts