Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on Absorbent Glass Mat batteries. I am thinking about putting on in the boat. Are they worth the extra cost? Is there any problem with charging? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
AGM is "Absorbed Glass Mat." Fiberglass mat impregnated with the electrolyte solution. The ones you want are heavy and designed for marine use. They can handle vibration and don't leak. They also last much longer. Well worth the extra cost, IMO. You do need to use a charger that will work for AGM, most modern chargers do.

I hate old style "wet" batteries where you always end up with acid leaking out and causing corrosion of terminals, burns on your skin and holes in your clothes. You are supposed to pop the tops to vent when you recharge and then you have flammable hydrogen gas to deal with. My Dad had a Porsche 914 once that folded in half from damage to the unibody frame from the leaking battery.

You can save money up front by buying inexpensive high quality marine batteries ($70 Interstate at Walmart) but in the long run cost ends up being about the same.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
AGM is "Absorbed Glass Mat." Fiberglass mat impregnated with the electrolyte solution. The ones you want are heavy and designed for marine use. They can handle vibration and don't leak. They also last much longer. Well worth the extra cost, IMO. You do need to use a charger that will work for AGM, most modern chargers do.

I hate old style "wet" batteries where you always end up with acid leaking out and causing corrosion of terminals, burns on your skin and holes in your clothes. You are supposed to pop the tops to vent when you recharge and then you have flammable hydrogen gas to deal with. My Dad had a Porsche 914 once that folded in half from damage to the unibody frame from the leaking battery.

You can save money up front by buying inexpensive high quality marine batteries ($70 Interstate at Walmart) but in the long run cost ends up being about the same.
I will second the ABOVE...
My last set of "Die Hard Platinums" just died this Spring..
10 years old...
AND, If Yours are buried in a compartment thats hard to reach...
You'll be glad to have the maintenance free AGM's.... vs the water acid type..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. It really helped me make up my mind. Looks like you can get the proper charger for not too much coin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts