Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im headed up to grandby this weekend to go ice fishing for my first time. and have been reading the reports i was just wondering if any body had ever used ainse oil on their baits and if so did you have any success? i use to use all the time for salmon and sturgeon fishing always injected my bait with it and had great success also had bar soap with anise oil that i washed my hands with it would kill the scent since i smoked, it also worked great for kokes since they share the same since of smell that chinook and cohos. I appreciate all your help.

Thanks James

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
don't you mean anise oil? Works well for the bows I've heard. Haven't heard much about how it works for lakers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As far as I know anise oil (which is the flavoring used in black licorice) is used primarily as a masking scent for fishing. I don't know about it's attractive qualities. My understanding is that oil type scents mask and water soluble type scents (salt, garlic, amino acids) attract.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
farmer ted said:
As far as I know anise oil (which is the flavoring used in black licorice) is used primarily as a masking scent for fishing. I don't know about it's attractive qualities. My understanding is that oil type scents mask and water soluble type scents (salt, garlic, amino acids) attract.
Salt doesnt attract it just gets them to hold on longer.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't even think salt gets them to hold on longer, does it? I think they just put it in many plastics (like senkos) for the weight it has. I'm not sure though.

L

·
0 Posts
I use anise oil regularly and swear by it. not only does it get rid of the human smell I seem to have much better results. and yes the salt does make them hold on longer.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I concur about the salt.  When I don't have a chance to get sucker meet, I will put on a slightly bigger tube jig, and fill it up with a scent I have that contains anise oil.  This has worked for me for catching lake trout, but it also seems to get the rainbows more curious about my tube, so I catch a few more rainbows, too. 

I haven't tried straight anise oil.

Hey, that brings up another question. When I was a kid, I used to fish from the shore in Puget Sound for using cut herring. Has anyone tried storebought hering as cutbait for lake trout?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I tried a herring scent tab at Granby and got no hits on it... But I have read that people use herring alot for mackinaw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts