Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday we headed out to check out an unnamed off trail lake in the Indian Peaks. We hadn’t heard any reports about the lake, but lakefinder said it was stocked, and the hike didn’t look too bad.
After an hour and a half hike, we arrived at the basin to see the lake. I noticed something on the far side of the lake, and we went to check it out. It was a plane wreck—we had no idea it was there and haven’t been able to find anything online about it. The trailhead we started from is the 4th of July trailhead.
Didn’t see any fish when we got there, but sat down to eat my lunch and saw a rise. Fishing was slow but we managed to get some fish—all on top with dries. Great day to be in the high country…you never know what you’ll find up there!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Did you happen to jot down the N number on the wreckage, or do you have a pic that shows it? If so, I can find the info for you.

Don

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Lunkerking--

I played with various permutations of the N number you sent me and the correct N number was N160JN.

It turns out that accident happened almost 39 years ago, killing the 29 year old commercial pilot who was on a personal flight to Steamboat Springs. The National Transportation Safety Board's "Probable Cause" determination can be found here http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=63245&key=0. In essence, the NTSB called it a "pilot error" accident, concluding that he did not get a weather briefing, may have encountered downdrafts and blowing snow over the ridge top, and was in controlled flight when he hit the mountain top.

Who knows what really happened. It certainly would not have been survivable.

Thanks for the report!

Update--

Here's a little info about the type of airplane that crashed. It was a "vintage" WWII era military trainer type aircraft. http://www.sandersaircraft.com/aircraft_at6g-texan.asp

Very interesting! Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts