Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the place to talk about fishing in Alaska, But you guys seem to be the most knowledgable fishermen(and women) out there. Anyway, My son & I are going to the Kenai peninsula the last week of July. We already have a halibut/salmon combo charter reserved, but would like any info on fishing we can do on our own.We will be headquartered in Homer, but willing to drive anywhere we can reach on a day trip from there. Are there some smaller, less known streams or lakes that are promising? I've heard about the combat fishing on the Kenai, Kasilov, etc. and would rather avoid that if possible. I can get all the combat fishing I can stand right here in Colorado.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
When I lived there I fished one long weekend on the Copper river out of Chitna. If you walk (or rent a motor cycle) you can (could) go down stream about 5 miles on the old railroad grade to where bridge was. Camp on the sand. Travel light, no people, catch salmon, eat Salmon, life is good. Alaska is a big state with no (not very many) roads. That puts pressure on the accessible places. Still the inland rivers and lakes are/were fun.

L

·
0 Posts
I've heard about the combat fishing on the Kenai, Kasilov, etc. and would rather avoid that if possible.
I always say don't knock it until you try it (combat fishing).I find it quite fun actually, it's not as bad as it sounds. Due to the fact that the foilage is so thick, places to fish are limited in South Central AK. By limited I mean, accessable by automobile and not choked with brush. Fishing the Sterling highway area is going to have people, no way around it unless you hike in somewhere. Even then you will find people when your on the peninsula.

I like the Ninilchik the best, less people still good fishing. The Anchor will have lots of people down lower, fish it further upstream. Kenai (entire peninsula) should still have runs of Kings in late July. If your willing to drive a day, hit the Mat-Su valley. The Little Susitna (little soo) or Willow Creek are tops. Montana Creek, closer to Talkeetna is good also. Last week of July will be Pinks and Chums in the Mat-Su valley, probably no Kings.

When you get there, go directly to the nearest fishing shop and ask where the salmon are. If you want salmon, you may have to fish whats open and has a run going on.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I was in AK last June. The Russian River is great for silvers. About 45 minute drive from Soldotna. Only thing you may have a 30-45 minute wait at the entrance for parking. Not as crowded as the Kenai.

Other place, in Soldotna the city as a area for acces to the Kenai for a small fee. Friend went there in July of 05. Caught their limit of silvers each day.
I used Gonefishin Lodge to stay for 7 days. Had 3 days of gudied halibut and 2 days of guide king salmon. All this for less than 1200.00.

I plan on going back in 07 to the same lodge

·
Registered
838 Posts
I fish Southeast AK every year or two. Fantastic fishing. Last year we caught limits of silvers and halibut everyday we went out. It helps when you have family with a 30 foot fishing boat that live in Juneau.

L

·
0 Posts
It helps when you have family with a 30 foot fishing boat that live in Juneau.
You suck.

I have a brother who is the park aerial flight coordinator and aerial rescue leader. I can get great places to hunt, but alas, no boat.

·
Registered
838 Posts
laker taker said:
It helps when you have family with a 30 foot fishing boat that live in Juneau.
You suck.

I have a brother who is the park aerial flight coordinator and aerial rescue leader. I can get great places to hunt, but alas, no boat.
LOL. It is nice having family up there. I fished 6 days straight last summer.
I am going to join my brother in a year or 2 for a moose/caribou hunt up there. They take a ferry up north of Juneau and then drive in. So far they have shot moose every year and pick up a few caribou every other year or so

L

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have any information about fishing the fairbanks area?
Chena river is the only river I know of with a halfway decent King run. Lake fishing is good too up that far.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My girlfriend's dad owns a lodge in Kodiak, I go up there and help him guide. Its some of the the best fishing ever, tons of fish, beer and fun. We went out for halibut one day and I had a blast, I caught a 65lb halibut while jigging and it almost pulled me out of the boat.

look at all the Dollies behind me

heres a view from the front porch of the lodge at midnight

FTW

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
WOW! Im so jealous.

L

·
0 Posts
The picture of the river full of Dolly Vardens is way cool.

My best Halibut last year was 64 lbs. My partner caught a 78 pounder. Halibut is great eating, but I prefer to catch Kings.

For people that have never fished halibut before,,

I'm 6'3" 275 pounds, and look at the size of a mere 64 pounder in comparison. Can you imagine a 400 pounder? Holy shnikies!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts