Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you didn't have a budget and was looking for a trip of a lifetime, where and what would you do in Alaska? Here is what they want to chase so far:
Rainbows
Greyling
Slivers

So I was thinking second or thrid week in August, looking for a lodge type base with fly out & jet boats, maybe Katmai area? Dream big guys! If you have some links please share. This will be the bucket list trip for my dad, he has diabetes and the kidneys are not working so well. Any info well help thanks guys and gals!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father. Hope things turn around for him.

You may want to go to Larry Csonka's web site. He has a show based in Alaska and it deals with virtually all forms of fishing up there. You can call and get some info from whoever answers the phone.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have not been to either place you mentioned, but we went to http://www.alaskawilderness.com/ in 2009, it was absolutely the best vacation we ever did. We had them fly us to the Wrangell Mountain Outpost cabin, we were scheduled to be there for 6 days without any intervention, the closest other person is 35 miles away but you can't get there from here. When we got there it turned out they had some people they wanted to bring up to the cabin in the middle of our trip and asked if it would be o.k. if they brought them up to do some grayling fishing and fly us to another lake for a day which was fine by us. We went to another lake to fish for some rainbows and had a blast At the outpost cabin you can fish for lake trout and grayling.

They also have a lodge that we didn't get to visit but they fish for salmon there, you could do 3 days at the lodge and 3 days at the Outpost if you wanted. They are really nice people that run the place.

I'm hoping to go back in the very near future.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've never been to the lodge, but I have fished Rapids Camp...it's friggin' awesome! I've never been there during the silver run (not even sure they run up the Naknek) but the rainbow and grayling fishing rocks. Smolt patterns for the rainbows and eggs (and egg sucking leeches) for the grayling were the ticket in June and early July.

·
Registered
336 Posts
And as far as money not being an object, there's a small river that runs into the Egegik river called the King Salmon River. If you happen to be there in late June-early July, the Kings and Dogs are in there. The Dogs(Chum) are easier to catch as they are either up in the water column or are willing to chase a fly, whereas the Kings are down on the bottom. The Dogs were a blast to catch, but the thrill of getting a King on a flyrod is almost indescribable.
Also, at that time of year and the close proximity to the salt water, the fish are still fresh and bright.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey, give me a call, I sent my number to you in a PM... I can get you in touch with the right people to make sure you get the exact trip you are looking for, but I want to make sure we go over all the details of exactly what you need first.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't know if you can even get in there this late, but the BEST in that area is Kulik Lodge. Daily fly-outs. The Kulik River right next to the lodge. You are taken to the hottest river in the Katmai area every day. First Class. Expensive. Exclusive.

If I had "one last trip" to Alaska, this would be the place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts