Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off during the late afternoon hours (sure gets dark fast these days). Anyway, started off trying a little Slabbing, with no results. Changed over to some trolling along the center line and landed 2 stocker sized Rainbows. After dark was able to catch 2 Smallies, and a decent Walleye (the usual 17 incher), still trolling (and if you can see the lure's in the pics, you'll know what to use.) Probably had 4 or 5 other hits during the night, so all in all, not a bad 3 Species night at Chatfield.
Shad still going strong no matter where you go, with a water temp. running 55-56 degrees.
With the number of Shad we've seen in this lake the last few years, would there be any reason why they can't start stocking some Wiper or White Bass? Just thought I'd throw that out there........

·
Registered
227 Posts
"With the number of Shad we've seen in this lake the last few years, would there be any reason why they can't start stocking some Wiper or White Bass?"

Man, I hear you on the shad! The last 2 times I've been at Chatty (once in mid Sept. and once today) I've seen schools and schools of them in the North boat ramp bay. Just an amazing amount of shad. The sea birds were getting their fill of them today! I'm all for cutting down on the stocker rainbows and letting some wiper loose in there... that is as long as introducing wiper doesn't impact the other sport fish populations. Not sure how "aggressive" wiper are in regards to that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts