Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. CF'ers who know something about fitness, can you please clear away my confusion about supplement products?

Here's the deal. I'm a former athlete, but unfortunately only recently have I begun to make an effort to get myself in good shape. I never became 'fat', but fatter than I wanted. I finally said "that's enough", before things just got worse. It was then that I realized that though I had played sports all my younger life, I knew nothing about fitness. :-[ I asked myself: How do I start? What do I do? What should I/shouldn't I eat? Etc. (Surely I'm not the only one who has been through this.) Anyway, I just started running (not knowing what else to do) -- a little bit farther each day -- and cutting out poor eating. Also some push-ups & sit-ups, not being able to afford a gym membership or home equipment. So far I've dropped over 15 lbs., and am improving my state of fitness. I'm happy about that.

However, recently "DieselDoctor" introduced a thread about exercise supplements (he uses/likes SuperPump MAX) and I once again realized that there was another fitness-related subject I was totally ignorant about. I'm posting this thread in hopes that someone can straighten me out and help me decide what, if anything, I should consider doing along this line (i.e. any supplement product).

Here's where I'm at, personally: I have zero interest in a 'bodybuilder-type' (or even football player) build or physique. Sure, I'd like to tone and improve my body & muscle, but I've always preferred just a healthy 'basketball player' kind of mold, rather than thick bulk. (Hope that makes sense.) So with that understanding, my questions are:

1) Should I consider a supplement, or are they mainly for guys who want to 'bulk out'?
2) If I should, which supplements would you recommend? (For example: What about protein supplements, like whey?)


Again, there are hundreds of products out there, and some of you guys take them in combination, etc. I'm just confused about it all and how/if it relates to someone like me. I would really benefit from a knowledgeable person(s) taking a moment to sort it out. :-\ (And I might not be the only one reading who's in this position.)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the lengthy post. I know a fishing forum might seem a funny place to ask, but nevertheless I am soliciting/appreciating any help offered. Thank you. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
hey hop. i have only taken supplements twice and this was my experience. for the record, i never wanted a football players body either. i just wanted to be toned and slightly more muscular in preparation for my wedding. im a skinny guy and its extremely hard for me to put on any weight

The first thing i tried was a pro hormone supplement available at GNC at the time (pro hormones are basically steroids but the ones at the store. were of a much more diluted content). im not sure if they are still available. i did two cycles of it. it was called methodrol and i gained 25lbs of LEAN muscle in the first 3 months (first cycle) and almost doubled my bench press weight. i noticed mostly that my appetite increased tremendously, and i think this is why i got such good results. unfortunately i did not buy the post cycle pills and i quickly lost 15 lbs (in about a month and a half) after i stopped taking the pills. the second cycle i gained back the 15 lbs and bought the post cycle pills. thanks to their help i kept my weight for about 5 months after i went off of methodrol, despite a lack in working out. my motivation stopped after i got married and so a year later i was back to my normal weight.

i had several side affects from the hormone supplement pills, one of which was a change in mood. i decided to use something natural. it was a pill similar to NOexplode (which is in a powder for that i dont like). it gave me energy, but never seemed to give me any extra gains. i took it religiously and even doubled the amount to try and see if it would work. nothing. it was a waste of money.

my brother is a similar build as me and has a fast metabolism. he worked out as much as me and took no supplements and he got ripped. not only that but the muscle he gained stuck with him longer than mine. i asked him how he did it and he told me what im sure a million people have told you. He forced himself to eat.

eat a ton. somehow you need to cram tons of food into your body. he forced himself while i took pills that made my body crave it. his method was natural and worked, mine wasnt and though it worked it didnt last. my advice to you from my little experience is to just do it naturally. once you go off of your suppliments (even thee natural ones) your body is bound to return to its natural state.....you seem to be doing the right things. just keep doing what your doing. the progress you've made is very impressive. keep at it. thats just my opinion. im no expert. just a lab rat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
Yeah, what he said.....Eat, lots.....workout lots....

I weighed 150 when I was in the AF and a few friends and I decided to start hitting the gym hard to get ripped. When they started buying the expensive powder shake supplements, I did my research and found that it's a high protein meal replacer. All I did was eat more often, and made sure there was lot of protein. Huge breakfast meat omelet, lunch was two deer steaks on the George Foreman, dinner was was as much protein as I could get in a normal meal with veggies on the side, and I also had the late meal from the chow hall as well. I didn't gain as much weight as them, but I gained more weight than they or I thought I would and I didn't spend the money they did on supplements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Forget the supplements. Keep doing what you're doing. Don't go to fast food places. Walk for your exercise if you can't run for some reason. Eat regular meals, skip all snacks. Lots of water helps. PK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
As a fatty fat fat guy, I can't really discuss muscle toning. But I can tell you that my brother has been all about the protein shakes, and no matter what, he can't gain weight (******* :D) From everyone I've talked to, and everything I've read, natural is the way to go.

But, again, I don't really know anything. But I'd like to point out a website, that maybe can get you the answers you need.

http://www.livestrong.com/

I'm currently dieting (shocking right?) and I have found their forum of people to be the greatest help of all. From advice to encouragement, the people on there are wonderful, and always willing to help. I urge you to check them out. I'm sure you can find the answers you are looking for there.


Edit: If you would all like a semi good chuckle, Maybe it is only for today, go to that website, and you'll see a changing banner? thingy? I dunno what to call it. Anyways, wait for the editors pick to come up and look at the picture. The girl riding her bike.... Her shorts..... It might just be me, but I swear it looks like she got her "female pad" in the right place lol just on the wrong side of her clothes :D
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
HOP, glad you got some motivation!

If I was you, I'd keep it really simple and just do lots and lots of bodyweight exercises, i.e. push ups, pull ups, dips, situps, prsoner squats, lunges, box jumps (one of my favorites), jogging, cycling, run hills, etc... Diversity is the key. Don't get stuck in a rut, always be challenging and confusing your body.

I don't do a lot of supps, every now and then I'll have a Muscle Milk or something similar after working out. I'm more of a believer in good snacks and lots of water.

I eat anything and everything. I view it simply as energy that may or may not need to be worked off. I try to limit my sweets, but I have total breakdowns now and then. I could care less about how much fat something has in it. You need a little fat. I just try to eat smart; but make no mistake, I eat a lot.

I've accepted the fact that I will probably always weigh around 180-185, so therfore I don't get wrapped up in spending lots of cash trying to gain weight. I try to wring as much ability out of what I have as I can.

I'm not a Crossfitter per se, but it has influenced the way I work out. I'm always doing different things. Here's a good read:


http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,341 Posts
I live on supplements nowadays ;D I mix the powder with slimfast drinks, ensure and /or anything like that that has vitamins and minerals and protein. I only eat 1 meal a day and sometimes skip that. I am in the gym daily after work and this week I have started ramping up to start the gym 2 times a day. I am NOT looking for any kind of bulk, I am trying to maximize cardio and get rid of years of lazy fat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I live on supplements nowadays ;D I mix the powder with slimfast drinks, ensure and /or anything like that that has vitamins and minerals and protein. I only eat 1 meal a day and sometimes skip that. I am in the gym daily after work and this week I have started ramping up to start the gym 2 times a day. I am NOT looking for any kind of bulk, I am trying to maximize cardio and get rid of years of lazy fat.
How long have you been living like that? With the whole eating one meal a day, maybe? I can understand the drive to want to achieve something, in this case body/health, But with me, food... eating... is like top 5 favorite things to do, and I just couldn't imagine how much will power it takes to cut it down to those levels. Again, I'm just curious. Is it just a brain power thing? Or do you struggle with it at times? ( I hope that made sense )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,341 Posts
Mexican Barney Frank said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I live on supplements nowadays ;D I mix the powder with slimfast drinks, ensure and /or anything like that that has vitamins and minerals and protein. I only eat 1 meal a day and sometimes skip that. I am in the gym daily after work and this week I have started ramping up to start the gym 2 times a day. I am NOT looking for any kind of bulk, I am trying to maximize cardio and get rid of years of lazy fat.
How long have you been living like that? With the whole eating one meal a day, maybe? I can understand the drive to want to achieve something, in this case body/health, But with me, food... eating... is like top 5 favorite things to do, and I just couldn't imagine how much will power it takes to cut it down to those levels. Again, I'm just curious. Is it just a brain power thing? Or do you struggle with it at times? ( I hope that made sense )
Been like this for some time now, at least a year and a half. Sometimes I go 2-3 days without eating a meal, I just don't get that hungry.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Mexican Barney Frank said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
I live on supplements nowadays ;D I mix the powder with slimfast drinks, ensure and /or anything like that that has vitamins and minerals and protein. I only eat 1 meal a day and sometimes skip that. I am in the gym daily after work and this week I have started ramping up to start the gym 2 times a day. I am NOT looking for any kind of bulk, I am trying to maximize cardio and get rid of years of lazy fat.
How long have you been living like that? With the whole eating one meal a day, maybe? I can understand the drive to want to achieve something, in this case body/health, But with me, food... eating... is like top 5 favorite things to do, and I just couldn't imagine how much will power it takes to cut it down to those levels. Again, I'm just curious. Is it just a brain power thing? Or do you struggle with it at times? ( I hope that made sense )
Been like this for some time now, at least a year and a half. Sometimes I go 2-3 days without eating a meal, I just don't get that hungry.
If I ever went that long without a meal I'd be behind bars!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
I've come to learn over the last 4 months that it's all about training your mind and body with your dietary intake. But that just blows my mind. I just like eating to much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I'm in the natural camp. I don't have anything against the supplements but I never used them and just listened to my body to get what I needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Supps are great if you don't over do it..... The only supp I'd consider must have is a multi vitiman, after that some whey protien right after you work out and some casien before bed should be a great start. Casien(I'm not running a spell check here so this whole post might be rough) is a slower absorbing protien so if your going long periods of time without food its good to have.....So your body keeps from going into a cantabolic state.

So Multi, Whey, and maybe casien should get your going just fine. The multi is the only thing I wouldn't skip out on..... Whey protien absorbs fast which is why a lot of us take it post workout, but truth be told the its also a hell of a lot easier than taking a chicken breast or steak to eat after working out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,039 Posts
If you aren't lifting weights then you don't need to bother with supplements. A standard healthy diet will cover your body's needs.

I take protein supplements because I lift weights for muscle mass. Muscles can't get enough protein when under that type of stress.

Pete G - Was that really you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,341 Posts
dieseldoctor said:
FFG eating one meal a day is crazy dude!!! I eat at least six small meals throughout the day, with snacks between.
Not one per day, one every few days. I normally only eat evey 2 days but can easily go 4. I ate a turkey sandwich Sunday evening, did not eat yesterday and have not had anything but coffee today. I may eat tonight, but I may just drink an ensure
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
dieseldoctor said:
FFG eating one meal a day is crazy dude!!! I eat at least six small meals throughout the day, with snacks between.
Not one per day, one every few days. I normally only eat evey 2 days but can easily go 4. I ate a turkey sandwich Sunday evening, did not eat yesterday and have not had anything but coffee today. I may eat tonight, but I may just drink an ensure
That cant be good for you man. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Whey is good for anyone even people not looking to add a lot of mass. Without the good post workout nutrition your actually doing more harm than good.....Which leads to over training and eventually why most people stop working out. Which includes running, biking, lifting, etc...

Whey isn't just for adding mass.....

http://www.wheyoflife.org/benefits.cfm#performance

A multi is also good for most people....
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top