Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a challenge from the girls I work with to make guacamole as it's something I have never prepared. Anybody have a decent receipe or is fish all anybody can make?? ;D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
a little sour cream. Always squeez in a bit of fresh lime juice! A little garlic salt. Some finely diced red onion is always good. Just don't over power the taste ov the avacado!

Jim

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Bruce Gillis said:
FFG is correct about useing ripe avacados. Sour cream and garlic salt is for wierdos. You're making guac not a dip. Sorry BR1
THATS BS. Garlic Salt and pepper is a must! Sour cream, tomatoes, and onions are all extras...BUT make sure you go easy on all 3 if you choose to add those.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bruce Gillis said:
give it a little squeeze, if it feels soft then it's ripe, hard avacados make for some ch1tty guac. If they are too soft that's bad also. Hard to explain , kind of thing you learn after you get home and get them out of the shell. Soft but not mushy
Thanks for all your help guys! I appreciate it. I figured Walking Eagle would put up a receipe. He has one for everything it seems. ;D

I will let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
6 ripe avacados (halved, skinned, pitted, mashed in bowl w/ a 1/6 C fresh squezzed lime juice). 1 med jalepeno roasted, skinned, seeded, and brunoise. 1 med/small tomato peeled and seeded and small diced. 1/2 med red onion small diced. 1 med clove fresh garlic mashed. Salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

Add all ingredients (avs and lime first), mix well and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fistfullafish said:
6 ripe avacados (halved, skinned, pitted, mashed in bowl w/ a 1/6 C fresh squezzed lime juice). 1 med jalepeno roasted, skinned, seeded, and brunoise. 1 med/small tomato peeled and seeded and small diced. 1/2 med red onion small diced. 1 med clove fresh garlic mashed. Salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

Add all ingredients (avs and lime first), mix well and enjoy.
Thank you!!! I needed an actual receipe!!! ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Basic Guacamole

Basic Guacamole
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno or Serrano chilies, seeds and membranes removed, if desired
kosher or coarse salt
2 large ripe Avocados, peeled and seeded
2 tablespoons cored, seeded, and finely chopped plum tomato (1 small tomato)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
warm tortilla chips, for serving

Instructions
-Mash together 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, 1 teaspoon of the onion, 1 teaspoon of the chile, and ½ teaspoon of salt in the bottom of a molcajete or medium-size bowl.
-Add the Avocados and gently mash with a fork until chunky-smooth. Fold the remaining cilantro, onion, and chile into the mixture.
-Stir in the tomato and lime juice, adjust the seasonings to taste, and serve with a basket of warm corn tortilla chips.

Yields 4 servings.

Per Serving: 191 calories, 2.4 grams protein, 18.5 grams fat, 8 grams carbohydrate

It isn't guac without cilantro!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
To simplify it and so you can scale, 1 tablespoon each of onion, tomato, chili pepper of choice and cilantro per avacado. Mash avacado first, then fold in the others along with some salt and the juice of 1/2 lime per avacado. I like mine chunkier, so i don't mash as much. really explore the different varieties of chili if you want some variations.

Also, completely outside the box but tasty if you get underripe avacadoes: stick them in thefood processor with a tablespoon of ranch dressing per and then processs the ish out of it. Then fold in ingredients as above. Not as good as ripe avacados, but tasty enough to save dinner./

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
After you've made it, cover it with Saran Wrap to keep it from turning brown. Press the Saran Wrap right down onto the surface of the guac, squeezing out all the air bubbles, and covering the entire surface.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
So, I have a challenge from the girls I work with to make guacamole as it's something I have never prepared.
One more tip for next time~~

Don't let your mouth write a check that your ass food processor can't cash. :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: Basic Guacamole

gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Basic Guacamole
x2 lime juice and cilantro make it.
This recipe is pretty much what I do. I don't use an actual recipe, but I know when its right. I'll throw in a touch of cumin as well.

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
smash up some avacados in a bowl, add whatever you like, keep it green. Chips, really good chips....

and BEER....

and tequilla...

If you like those things. Guac is so simple..... People are way harder to figure out...

Peace 8)

BHR

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

2 avocados per pack

mix 2 pack spicy and 1 pack mild

its got some heat but doesn't burn the taste buds off your tongue.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Sounds like these folks have you set dude, my question is, what is the challenge? Do they think you can't do it, or are they having you do this cause you have sucker written across your forehead? In my younger days, I was that sucker, but it wasn't always a bad thing. ;D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Koldkut said:
Sounds like these folks have you set dude, my question is, what is the challenge? Do they think you can't do it, or are they having you do this cause you have sucker written across your forehead? In my younger days, I was that sucker, but it wasn't always a bad thing. ;D
Yea, they think cause I'm a man that I cant cook. We are having a potluck for one of the girls who's birthday is Tuesday and my challenge is to make something I have never made to see if i can "cook" or not. They think all I can do is catch fish! ;)

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Re: Basic Guacamole

gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Basic Guacamole
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno or Serrano chilies, seeds and membranes removed, if desired
kosher or coarse salt
2 large ripe Avocados, peeled and seeded
2 tablespoons cored, seeded, and finely chopped plum tomato (1 small tomato)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
warm tortilla chips, for serving

Instructions
-Mash together 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, 1 teaspoon of the onion, 1 teaspoon of the chile, and ½ teaspoon of salt in the bottom of a molcajete or medium-size bowl.
-Add the Avocados and gently mash with a fork until chunky-smooth. Fold the remaining cilantro, onion, and chile into the mixture.
-Stir in the tomato and lime juice, adjust the seasonings to taste, and serve with a basket of warm corn tortilla chips.

Yields 4 servings.

Per Serving: 191 calories, 2.4 grams protein, 18.5 grams fat, 8 grams carbohydrate

This is really close to how I make mine, here are the differences:

Remove cilantro. I like cilantro, just not in my guac.
Add GARLIC! How can you have guac without garlic?
Add 3oz cream cheese. Some like this, some don't.
Add seasoning salt to taste
add black pepper, freshly cracked.
I don't use jalapenos or serranos. I like to use hatch green chilies you get this time of year from the vendors setting up all over the metro area. I usually use 2 hots and 3 mediums, but you make it as hot or mild as you want. I think the roasted chilis add more flavor than the raw ones.

Man...now I'm hungry. ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts