Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was up in Almont CO about 2 weeks ago fly-fishing the Taylor and Gunnison Rivers. I have not been up to that area in a few years. But predictably, and by all accounts, it was very busy…

Overall, the fishing was pretty good. Particularly on the Gunnison where one morning I got into a bunch of hard fighting Rainbows all ranging from 16 to 20 inches. A red Zebra Midge size 18 was the hot fly. Pats rubber legs and a variety of small emerges worked well for Browns. Did not see any reservoir run Salmon but i wasn't looking for them either..

I will say this- The Gunnison is moving up quickly on my list of favorite Colorado Rivers.

The Taylor river also fished well. But it’s a more challenging river to fish in my opinion. I went swimming twice trying to navigate that dam stream bottom…

I also fished the Cimarron river (middle fork I believe) near Silver Jack Reservoir on my way back to AZ. Beautiful little stream which was loaded with small but very aggressive rainbows..

Heres a few pics from the trip....Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the report! That's definitely one of my favorite areas. Beautiful pics!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That low clear water is always a challenge, congrats on your success.
To be honest it was not that hard....lol... You just need to stand back a little and tread lightly so you dont spook them..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beautiful pics and Beautiful day:} Did you hear anything about the condition of Blue Mesa and the Kokenee? I inherited my Dads Kokenee fishing boat and hoping to get it on the water next season. Your trout look so good though, maybe time to switch to trout filets. If you need a fishing companion, let me know the next time you are near Blue Mesa and would love to meet you. Take Care-Marie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Marie!
When i was in Almont in late September the Salmon run was late and just getting started. Blue Mesa looked really low to me but I have not been up that way in awhile. I will probably be back up next summer or fall. If you are on instagram you can follow me here: @ray_redstone

Here is a link to a short video clip of me fly-fishing on the Cimarron River on my way back to Arizona.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ray, Thanks for the update:} I'm hoping to get the boat on the water next May and limit out on Kokenee and Lake trout. We always had a freezer full of fish for the winter and Im bummed that didn't happen this year. I think I need to tag along with you when you come back:]
There are a few ice fisherman in Montrose, so I might have to try and find that group. My Dads name was Ray and the boat has been rechristined "The RayMarie". Your name caught my eye and of course the beautiful fish you caught. Have a great winter and maybe we will meet up this Spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts