Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 aluminum boat and I have 7 rivets that are leaking. I have looked at repairing with solid rivets and "pop" style aluminum sealing rivets. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on this? I would have to remove some of my flooring to use the solid rivets, but the blind rivets would be easy. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2002 aluminum boat and I have 7 rivets that are leaking. I have looked at repairing with solid rivets and "pop" style aluminum sealing rivets. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on this? I would have to remove some of my flooring to use the solid rivets, but the blind rivets would be easy. Thanks in advance!
i had the same issue with boat we had up in ketchikan that we used off the beach

i drilled out the leaking Rivets
use 2 flat washers and a round headed bolt ( kind that has a flat blade screwdriver slot in the head of it)and ground the bolt off flush with the nut
and some 3M 5200 to seal it seem to hold up good!

·
Registered
513 Posts
i had the same issue with boat we had up in ketchikan that we used off the beach

i drilled out the leaking Rivets
use 2 flat washers and a round headed bolt ( kind that has a flat blade screwdriver slot in the head of it)and ground the bolt off flush with the nut
and some 3M 5200 to seal it seem to hold up good!
X2 on also using 5200. Splash zone over the old rivets will also work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bulb-tite blind rivet.

I used these rivets to repair a 93 aluminum boat. Virtually identical head diameter. If you take care when grinding off the anvil it looks like a factory rivet. I applied sealer to the rivet before inserting it thru the hull. You'll need a large pop rivet tool, the small ones wont work. Harbor Freight has them. RV6607-6-8.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivets/blind-rivets/bulb-tite-blind-rivets.html

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I used these rivets to repair a 93 aluminum boat. Virtually identical head diameter. If you take care when grinding off the anvil it looks like a factory rivet. I applied sealer to the rivet before inserting it thru the hull. You'll need a large pop rivet tool, the small ones wont work. Harbor Freight has them. RV6607-6-8.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivets/blind-rivets/bulb-tite-blind-rivets.html
I guess I'm easily entertained but I love using the Harbor Freight pneumatic "Aircraft Rivet Tool." Fun! :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I had a little 12 footer that was holed by a broken trailer leaf spring.
Pop rivets and quality epoxy worked fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I am working with Lund dealer to try to get it fixed under warranty. It doesn't sound too good right now. " Boatings best warranty" my ass. Anyways
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. I am working with Lund dealer to try to get it fixed under warranty. It doesn't sound too good right now. " Boatings best warranty" my ass. Anyways
Thanks again!
For the kind of money they charge Id expect them to come to your house. Whats the story?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My boat is a 2002 Lund fisherman that I have owned for 10 years. I had noticed water in my hull about a year ago and I discovered that there were about 7 rivets in a line in the hull that were loose and leaking. There is no damage to the area where the loose rivets are. I thought since Lund had a lifetime warranty that I would look at getting the boat repaired at a dealer to keep the warranty valid. I was told by both Lund and the dealer that my boat was not under warranty because I am the second owner, the age of the boat and that I didn't register the boat with Lund when I bought it. I am not mad but disappointed that they don't stand behind their product more. I haven't had any other problems with this boat, but will think twice when I look at replacing it with a new boat someday.

·
Registered
902 Posts
'MERICA

I'd complain on a bunch of fishing and boating forums. They might give ya grease if you squeek loud enough. If not hopefully a fellow fisherman might learn to "register " for the warranty. Still bs.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i know for a fact lund reps watch walleye central message board, you may want to be a member and talk about this there. I believe someone on heres verado got some attentions from Mercury on that site and was fixed after being turned down by local dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts